How to treat runny nose

Mina Adel

a small male desert tort has bubbles on his nose.
it happened after I soaked him for an hour or may be more.
I was afraid of bladder stones. because males are more affected than females and are easily die ... as their urinary system is longer and narrower . so I soak them daily.
any advice will be appreciated..

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
If that is the only time you have seen any symptoms, I would not worry much. Keep an eye on him though. If it continues, his breathing sounds raspy, or more discharge, then you will need to see a vet for RI.
I don't keep DT''s, so this is what I would do for my leopards, Sulcata or Russians.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I've never had to deal with it but heard that in respiratory infection some torts blow bubbles out of their nose. The only think I'd know to do is to bump up the temperature in the enclosure to 85F (that's about 29 degrees Celsjus) I'd also be sure humidity is at least 80%. People and animals have easier time getting over respiratory infections when the air they breathe is humid. And of course golden standard of warm soaks. If it was my tort I'd be on the phone booking appointment with my reptile vet but I know you are unlikely to have that option so just soaking, keep warm/humid, make sure she gets good diet and eats it daily. Also keep this sick tort separated from the others if you don't want more sick torts. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
a small male desert tort has bubbles on his nose.
it happened after I soaked him for an hour or may be more.
I was afraid of bladder stones. because males are more affected than females and are easily die ... as their urinary system is longer and narrower . so I soak them daily.
any advice will be appreciated..

If yiu notice bubbles after soaking I would not worry at all...oh and both males and females equally can be plagued with stones...so be certain to keep tort hydrated

Mina Adel

If yiu notice bubbles after soaking I would not worry at all...oh and both males and females equally can be plagued with stones...so be certain to keep tort hydrated
I thought males can't excrete small stones as females do ...

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Since this happened after a soak I think it's possible he was dehydrated and rehydrated too quickly, and vomited a small amount of fluid back up. I've seen that happen with other reptiles (and dogs, and cats, and humans...) but I assume it also happens to torts. If the bubbles aren't going away I'd second Pearly's concerns about an RI but bubbly noses can also mean stress, parasites, irritants in the enclosure etc

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I thought males can't exifrete small stones as females do ...
Nope...you were not told correct. Stones can and are a hazard to both male and female. A well hydrated tortoise has a much better ability to clear their system than one that is not...

Also, how did you determine the species of tortoise in your care? May we see a pic? ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Nope...you were not told correct. Stones can and are a hazard to both male and female. A well hydrated tortoise has a much better ability to clear their system than one that is not...

Also, how did you determine the species of tortoise in your care? May we see a pic? ;)
@ascott Mina is in Egypt and has quite a few of these locally rescued tortoises. Mina is struggling with limited space, resources, support and information in a country that has a very different attitude to wildlife to his.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pictures. These would enable members to give you advise more easily.

Mina Adel

I gave them once calcium powder ... I found stones in their urine and all my males died. 6 males.

Attachments

• 1469991121613.jpg
    1469991121613.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 31

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I gave them once calcium powder ... I found stones in their urine and all my males died. 6 males.
It is unlikely that one dose of calcium powder caused this problem. They would have been severely dehydrated for some time to develop stones.

If you are soaking them daily, a tiny pinch of calcium powder on their food 3 times a week is fine.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
If they all died within days, weeks or months of each other I would suspect an infectious disease. If they all died around the same time (within hours of each other) I would suspect some kind of poisoning. Don't think the stones or calcium powder had anything to do with that.

I'm very sorry to hear they didn't make it.

Mina Adel

If they all died within days, weeks or months of each other I would suspect an infectious disease. If they all died around the same time (within hours of each other) I would suspect some kind of poisoning. Don't think the stones or calcium powder had anything to do with that.

I'm very sorry to hear they didn't make it.
Thank you a lot for your feelings. what kind of infectious desease? like what ?
respiratory infection.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
You will need to separate them all. You cannot keep any of them together. There is no other way to prevent diseases from spreading among them.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Are mycoplasma an issue in other countries like here for our desert tortoises?