How to properly measure relative humidity in an open tub/box

Strawb

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
ED2CB27F-00B6-4E1D-A1F1-935ADD813F16.jpeg 0A5137E9-DDF9-44CB-ADB2-EA8AE1BB40B5.jpeg hi guys. Im new here. The information ive seen in the threads here are amazing. A bit confusing and contradicting at times but still helpful as always

My concern is i have a hygrometer from Hobby and i want to be able to take the relative humidity of my open enclosure. I know its gonna be harder to get proper reading with an open box but where qould you recommend placing the probe to get the best accurate readings?

Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At tortoise level. However, it won't do much good in a open top. You really need to make it a closed chamber for the humidity to work as good as it can to prevent pyramiding.

Strawb

Dubai
At tortoise level. However, it won't do much good in a open top. You really need to make it a closed chamber for the humidity to work as good as it can to prevent pyramiding.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. So basically whatever reading i get is inaccurate? Is there a math to it though for open tub setups? Like when its at 40% in an open tub, would it be like 70% in a closed enclosure? Or something to that extent (the % are just samples)

Reqlly clueless here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. Thanks for the reply. So basically whatever reading i get is inaccurate? Is there a math to it though for open tub setups? Like when its at 40% in an open tub, would it be like 70% in a closed enclosure? Or something to that extent (the % are just samples)

Reqlly clueless here
Tape the probe to a rock about the size of your tortoise and move it around the enclosure.

You don't need a math formula. Humidity is what it is. The number will vary with the temperature ad the amount of moisture that is evaporated into the air. It will be higher in a closed chamber because the warm humid air is trapped vs. being dissipated into the cooler drier room air.

Strawb

Dubai
Tape the probe to a rock about the size of your tortoise and move it around the enclosure.

You don't need a math formula. Humidity is what it is. The number will vary with the temperature ad the amount of moisture that is evaporated into the air. It will be higher in a closed chamber because the warm humid air is trapped vs. being dissipated into the cooler drier room air.

Im gonna try that. Would the zoomed reptirain automatic misting machine be any helpful for added humidity for an open table set up? Is it really worth the investment?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you put a top on it the heat and humidity stays in. Your heating won't have to work as often and you won't have too add as much water to raise humidity as often. Putting heat on a thermostat makes it even easier and less stressful.

Strawb

Dubai
If you put a top on it the heat and humidity stays in. Your heating won't have to work as often and you won't have too add as much water to raise humidity as often. Putting heat on a thermostat makes it even easier and less stressful.

Got it. Ive managed to raise the humidty up to 55-60%. If i place the top on partially i can probably get 10-15% more humidity in there.

Thanks for the replies.

Strawb

Dubai
Separated them for the meantime while i try to set up a new enclosureIMG_3641.jpg

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
I use an open top enclosure, and I use a hide box, give daily baths, and spray with a water bottle all over the enclosure about 10x per day and have experienced minimal if any pyramiding.