How to know if supplements are needed?

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I have some questions about diet and supplements for larger sulcatas.

I started a job at a Natural Resource Education Center in a Forest Preserve a couple of months ago. We have a sulcata there that was rescued from the pet trade. He's around 22 years old and about 70 lbs. He lives in my boss's backyard during the summer and grazes on grass and weeds. During the colder months, he lives at the center where his diet consists of romaine lettuce and orchard grass. I have a red-foot at home and know that a variety of food is really important for proper health. I'm going to suggest mixing up his diet using foods from The Tortoise Table and this thread posted by Yvonne G. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

My main question is about supplements. He's been with the center for 16 years now and, as far as I know, has never received any kind of supplements in his diet. I know a lot of people suggest supplements but how do you know which kinds, if any, are needed? He seems perfectly healthy. He has no pyramiding or breathing issues, he goes to the bathroom regularly and his poops look great, and he has plenty of strength and energy to roam the center and move entire picnic tables across the floor when he chooses to do so. Are supplements still required given his seemingly good health all this time without them? If so, how would we know what kinds to use (calcium, vitamins, minerals, etc.)?

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!