Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK, so we have him eating, but now I need to make sure he is getting everything he needs. He is eating all of his greens fine, not much (actually none at all) of fruit (he does not seem too interested in that), some alfalfa hay, and alfalfa sprouts. I saw a couple of threads where a cobblestone was used for calcium, and a mention of adding in some additional vitamins. Can anyone lend some advise on what those are, and any other needed supplements to his food. Also any advise on an occasional treat or other foods he may like.

Thanks in advance!
-Tony

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Maybe you saw cuttlebone for calcium?
Its good your tort doesnt want to eat fruit. It really isnt good for them. And watch the Alfalfa.. its high in protein.. even tho its veggi protein.. try green grass hay instead. Timothy hay, orchard grass, etc.
Mine like squash, pumpkin, carrot.. color seems to entice them sometimes.

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, cuttlebone that's it, my bad. What about the vitamin supplements. Is there something you put on their food from time to time? and is a cuttlebone a good idea or too much? My little one seems to go for the green. Color interests him, but he moves away from it after he sniffs it. Im sure sooner or later he will take a sample. I put in regular grass, plus he eats that and a few weeds outside when he is out there, but weather has kept him in last couple of days. Ill try some of those suggestions though, thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Grasses and hays are a critical component of the Sulcata’s diet. Experts recommend that mixed grasses comprise 70–75% of your Sulcata’s diet. The following grasses are considered suitable fodder grasses: buffalo grass, Bermuda grass, bluegrass, Darnel rye grass, western wheat grass, blue grama grass, and a variety of Fescue sp. Grass hay (not alfalfa hay), which is available at local feed stores, can also be provided. Avoid hays with excessively “prickly” seed heads, such as Timothy hay, as these can injure mouths and eyes.

This grass-based diet should be supplemented with flowers as frequently as possible. Edible flowers and weeds that should be included in a regular diet include: hibiscus flowers and leaves, wild dandelion flowers and leaves, petunia, Viola sp., thistle, chickweed, opuntia cactus, plantain and clover.

Grocery store produce should represent only a very small part of your Sulcata’s total diet. Acceptable produce includes chicory, dandelion greens, collard greens, endive, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, shredded carrots and pumpkin.

The best supplements for tortoises are phosphorus-free, contain a wide range of trace elements, and are free of added amino acids. Raw calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, ground oyster shells or cuttlefish bones are also good sources of calcium.
This is an excerpt from: http://www.sdturtle.org/AFRICAN SPURRED TORTOISE CARE SHEET.htm

Here is another site that might help
http://www.anapsid.org/sulcata.html

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great info, thank you. I will go out and get that sort of stuff together. Mostly he has been eating grocery foods but NOT basic lettuce. I have been giving him the collard greens, Kale, dandelion greens, shredded carrots, alfalfa sprouts, spinach greens, and a garden spring mix. That plus what he gets outside grass, some weeds, clovers, and leaves. I know I need to mix it up, so the info you gave me should get me on the right track. The only thing left is the vitamins. I read somewhere they need like a B3 or something like that. Will they get that in the diet above, or am I missing something. Sorry if Im not getting that......

-Tony

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I give my small sulcatas calcium w/o D3 everyday (Repcal), I do rotate in the calcium w/ D3 sometimes, I rotate mineral all 1, herpavites (repcal), TNT, 3 times a week. You can get wheat grass instead of using alpalpha sprouts, mine like it. You can also plants seeds for grassland torts to mix up things, I use grassland tort seeds, russian blend seeds, clover, chia seeds, weeds, and mix those with spring mix, green leaf, dandelion greens, collard greens etc. Just make sure you change it around and stay away from spinach. You can get seeds at turtlecafe.com , carolinapetsupply.com Good Luck!

roamingbull

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
All good stuff...We went "Grocery shopping" the other day at the garden shop. Armed with the list of good plants and bad plants we got from the links that were provided in some of the replies. We were able to get a pretty good assortment. We also tossed in a cuttlebone from the pet store, which he took to right away. He gets outside as much as we can, so he will usually take advantage of dandelions, weeds, and grass, or if need be, Ill just go out and harvest some. All that with a good supplement of the grocery greens seems to be working pretty well. Since he has been on the better foods, It has been really fun to watch him become increasingly active and adventurous. Or it appears to be related anyway. We are still going to get some of the shredded hay, and the wheat grass sounds good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.