How to know for sure if this is my tortoise??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tort134

5 Year Member
Thank you everybody for your replies on this. You have no idea how much time we've spent looking at the photos and comparing.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I'm glad it's not just me that's confused Becki and ZZZdanz must know something we don't ;)

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Confused as well, just wanted to remind people that you should have your outdoor torts chipped.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Jermosh said:
Confused as well, just wanted to remind people that you should have your outdoor torts chipped.

How do they chip tortoises? Is it something simple that can be done at home? Who moni-torts them, Ha?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is about the same price to microchip a tort as it is a dog, my tortoise club does it for a reduced price to it's members, and the vet can run a scanner over the tort to see if it is chipped. they usually do it in the back leg.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
hmmmm...where did the post go?..Anyways..there was a sulcata rehomed and when the original owner went to see it they where shown a different tort and told that was their's that they re-homed....it wasn't.
Maybe that will clear up the confusion

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
zzzdanz said:
hmmmm...where did the post go?..Anyways..there was a sulcata rehomed and when the original owner went to see it they where shown a different tort and told that was their's that they re-homed....it wasn't.
Maybe that will clear up the confusion

Thank's ;)I have been confused all day with that post waiting for you to make some sense of it :cool:

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I didn't realize the post was gone..was scratching my head wondering what the problem was.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Bob is chipped. maggie had it done.. I just wonder how many shelters know they shoudl scan a tort when it comes in as a stray.. makes sense that they should.. but I wonder how many do.. heck how many actually do dogs and cats..
Scanners break, get lost, walk off and have dead batteries ALL THE TIME at the shelter I work with.....

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I believe they asked their question and had it answered in less than 30 minutes so they just edited the original post.

tort134

5 Year Member
I'm sorry everybody! I changed my original post and just thanked everybody because I didn't want any trouble in the future with the current situation we have going on right now. You just never know who is reading this stuff and there was too much info about my case on this forum. But thank you to all that helped. YES, I wish we would have used a micro-chip. Then none of this would even be happening.

Thanks again. :)

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
You can have a vet dremel a code on the shell as well. Some of our old DTs have those for tracking from field studies back in the day.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Jermosh said:
You can have a vet dremel a code on the shell as well. Some of our old DTs have those for tracking from field studies back in the day.

To identify my torts in case of theft, I have drilled a teeny, toothpick size hole in an inconspicuous spot near the edge of their shell. You would not notice it without knowing where to look for it.
To identify in case of escape, I always keep a small paper sticker on their shell with my name and contact info. This has already paid off one time when one escaped. He only made it about 100 yards down the street before a neighbor found him and called me on his cell phone.
Chipping a tort is a highly impractical solution. It is useless in most situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.