How to keep heat in tortoise table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
Any tricks how to keep heat in tortoise table? Its gonna be in a cooler room in my house

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
jareeed2 said:
Any tricks how to keep heat in tortoise table? Its gonna be in a cooler room in my house

we have base board heating and i have Sonne on a table (!off the floor!)by the wall with the heater. it works pretty well or we also have a ceramic heat bulb that works wonders :) when i dont really wana roast out my room LOL

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Well the tables being built now.. Should i have a hinged cover built or just put something seperate over it

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OH, with Redfoots you may not use a UV/heat bulb combined (MVB).
I think a lot of people cover their RF tables, sometimes with plexiglass.
Are you going to use a Strip light/hood for your UV, with a CHE for heat on one or both end.
The top could then be fashioned to fit in front of the lighting to cover the rest of the enclosure? Plexiglass is nice.
There are some beautiful indoor Redfoot set ups, using tortoise tables or aquariums.

M

Maggie Cummings

Make a lid for it too. I cover some of mine with foil...

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Can you cut plexiglass? Maybe i get a big sheet of plexiglass.. Draw out on it where i want them uv strip lamp and heat lamp to go then cut those sections out.?? Maybe im just dreaaming idn lol.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Nope....not dreaming...perfect idea, just know that plexi glass is a tricky thing to cut...so take caution...or perhaps where you purchase it at will have cutter and will do the cuts for you so your plexi does not crack....unless you are aok doing it that is....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recommend a closed chamber instead of an open table. Especially for RFs.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
My table is 7 X 3 feet. I use a piece of rigid insulation with the foil facing the pen, my lights are at one end so I cover as much as I can. My hubby stapled a thin strip of wood, (luan?) to each end so I can lift it up and kinda slide it between the wall and table to clean. My temps are a bit cooler at the far end, but I have loads of hay there, and they can decide where they want to be.
If anyone cares for a pic, let me know, cheap and easy!!
Nay

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
With Red-footeds, you either need some sort of cover, or to heat and humidify the whole room, or split the difference and build a sort of mini-room/indoor greenhouse/etc. for them inside the room.

One fairly easy option is to make the table, then use PVC pipe or cheap lumber to make a tent-like framework over the table and all of the lighting and heating elements, then drape it with clear vinyl sheeting or a clear shower curtain, etc.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
HI, here's the simple picture of the simple solution. This was already in the tiny pics album. but if you need more info I will take more.
Top table has the insulation on it. I can easily lift when I need to clean, very light and actually stand ups against the wall at an angle giving me enough room to feed and clean.(It will stand up because there is two strips of thin wood stapled on each end, otherwise the board is pretty flimsy)
Bottom layer has one, but I hadn't placed it on yet. Hope it helps!!

2qjc54z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.