how to increase humidity inside tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobalion

5 Year Member
Can anyone suggest how to increase humidity inside my tortoise habitat tank. it is reading 40%. I just brought this baby , less than 1 month home , first time owner..and have not been able to sleep keeping and eye on her.. help please..she is not moving much even she was all over the place before I brought her home. temp is reading...78F....also what to use at bottom of the glass .....thanks

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :). First question what type of tortoise do you have? Second, what type of substrate? Pics really help..

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Also we need to know your four temps, basking, warm side, cool side and night.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yes, we have lots of questions, but we want to help :) plus do you have a lid on your habitat?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The Tortoise Library, linked below, has lots of articles that may help, including one on humidity

Bobalion

5 Year Member
Chainsawkitten said:
Hi and welcome :). First question what type of tortoise do you have? Second, what type of substrate? Pics really help..

I have a Sulcata Tortoise, I think less than 1 month old. I purchased a desert kit terranium liner , no bedding. I have a light bulb that came with the kit, but red light. I got her out on the sun to let her walk and she woke up and started walking around...once I put her in the glass containers she just stays and do not want to move around...

Bobalion

5 Year Member
Chainsawkitten said:
Yes, we have lots of questions, but we want to help :) plus do you have a lid on your habitat?
I have a lid on the habitat..

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The problem is if you haven't substrate you cant create humidity. You need to add substrate. Please post a pic of your enclosure. Your lighting sounds like a problem also.

Bobalion

5 Year Member
I have a terranium kit that came with a bottom liner , that I am using at the bottom of the tank. I have a light, but no red light bulb. I also have a box inside cut open on the sides. water and greens to eat. the temp was up last night to 78F and humid was up to 80% after adding some drops of water around on top of the liner ...I also covered part of the tank and it seemed to help with the humidity but today the temp is back down to 75f and humidity 50%...I am afraid she will get dhd, dehydrated like it is mentioned in the forum..I have not seen her eat, or drink, like I said the most active I have seen her was when I put her outside on the gravel and she walked around..actually looked very happy and active..I do not know how to measure temp at bottom , around tank..but I have a gauge to measure room temp...any advise will be appreciated. thanks

Bobalion

5 Year Member
so I added some cypress mulch, my tortoise likes it.. she is walking around...I also provided a red light ....she went to drink water ...do I keeo both lights on or do I alternate day and night lights?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Read the links in my signature.

They need it dark at night, but still warm.

Daytime should look bright and sunny.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
How's she doing?
Are you posting pics from a computer or an iPhone?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
What type of light do you have for the day? Is there a UVB bulb at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.