how to deworm at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhnhn

5 Year Member
I can't find enough information on how to deworm our tortoises at home. Is it even possible? Sorry if there was another thread about this already.

I'm getting a simple stool exam by the vet today and I want to know on whether I should let them take care of the worms or I should do it at home.

I have a baby eastern hermanns. He's only about 2 inches long.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Oh please don't medicate a baby that small. They just don't have the pysical resources to cope with it. A regular dietary addition of ground up pumpkin seeds and the pumpkin flesh it self is all it should need. Alternate these with its regular greens and worms should be dealt with, at least to within acceptable levels.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
You can try pumpkin. In order to do pumpkin, you have to take the skin, insides, seeds and everything, and blend them all togeether.

You may be able to just get some worming medication from the vet to take home and feed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You probably don't need to de-worm until your tortoise has been outside for a couple seasons. Yes, you can de-worm yourself, but to be safe and not kill your tortoise, you need to have the vet do it the first time and show you how and what dosage.

johnhnhn

5 Year Member
Still waiting on the results...

Pumpkins... Never would have guessed.... I like the idea of an all natural solution.

If the worms and parasites are severe than I'll leave it to the vet since you guys mentioned that he's still so young.

If it's a mild case than I'll go with with the pumpkin.

Thanks everyone. :)

Last question, how long should I keep feeding him pumpkins? Two weeks?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not the pumpkin itself that is a de-wormer...it is the seeds. You have to dry them then grind them up and sprinkle them over the food. I have never done this method of de-worming, so I don't know how many times you would need to do it.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
First and foremost, why are you trying to de-worm a hatchling?

johnhnhn

5 Year Member
My sister and I ordered our tortoises from the same place online. Found out hers has worms. So in order to eliminate any internal threats to my little guy, I am getting a fecal sample examined by the vet.

If results come back negative for worms, then I won't do anything.

If results come back positive for worms, then I would like to help him.

Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.