Took Shelly and Piggy to the Vet, And im very upset..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I totally understand what your saying and Thank you for explaining. Im just upset for the fact that i took her in to be checked for a respiratory infection, Ive had them for about 3 weeks now and it seems shes not stressed which i was told that stress could sometimes play a part in a tortoise blowing bubbles. Shes eating great but now it seems i can hear her making wheezing noises. Im really stressed that vet bill wasnt cheap. I just wished hed have listened to me. He seemed nice enough. Yet all he said regarding the ri is shes not blowing bubbles at this moment so lets not worry for now..ugh I just feel like i dont know what to do. I put her in the yard all day till late evening and bring her in at night with night time temps of about 80° to 85° . Im still soaking once a day and im feeding her all she will eat. I just hope shes gonna fine.

(3) Sulcata Tortoises - Spunky, Shelly and Ms. Piggy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Clear bubbles do not automatically indicate a RI....if you have had the tort for only a few weeks I would let the tort settle in...this could take a few months....If the tort is showing a clean bubble from time to time I would not be too stressed straight away....I would let the two of you relax a little...just be sure that your day and night temps remain warm and not chill.....

Also remember that a dewormer is a poison...hence how it kills the parasites--so sometimes you will have a tort that is new to its new place which causes stress---then a trip to the vet which causes stress--and then if you throw in deworming which can create an upset stomach and overall not right feeling due to the dying and dead parasites wiggling round and heading out--- and in turn causes a bit more stress and you have a tort that I am not surprised will blow a bubble or two....I would keep the tort in a calm, quiet place and set up a strict routine for a few months and keep an eye on the tort and then revisit the overall health again then....just my thoughts...:D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Even with dogs and cats, I recommend owners take home their dewormer and wait a day or two before they administer it...again, give the animals a few days to get over the stress of the visit and car ride.
With a tortoise, I'd recommend waiting 5-7 days, since they are much slower to recover and adjust.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
They both ate well today.:) I hope this dont sound stupid But ive never had adults before i live in San Antonio Texas its still warm here what is the best day and night temps for adult Sulcatas. They are kept indoors at night temps never lower than about 80 degrees at night. They have there own room. Lol And its a small room thats easy to keep warm.

(3) Sulcata Tortoises - Spunky, Shelly and Ms. Piggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.