How over-grown is this beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtothis

5 Year Member
I just got this turtle yesterday. I have already trimmed about 1/4 of an inch off of him with a dremel. I think it's still too long but I was afraid to take more on the first cut.

How overgrown is it? Thank you so much!

turtleday2011_zps4c172339.jpg

turtleday2007_zps8bdbc117.jpg

turtleday2003_zps93e09c20.jpg

newtothis

5 Year Member
These are *AFTER* pictures. He couldn't use his mouth at all in the before world.

thelub

5 Year Member
Its pretty overgrown, but mine is worse and he can eat pretty well.

Do you have any experience trimming with a dremmel? I've considered it, but didn't want to attempt as I have no experience doing it.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Yeah thats still pretty bad :( i would try to reduce the tip and then work the sides as it can be VERY stressful take it slow and do a little each day. dont forget to reward him for his patiance :(

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Congrats on your new turtle!
Yes, a beak trim definitely is necessary. I have drawn a green line onto your pic to show about where the beak should end up... probably over the course of several trimmings.

turtleday2007_zps8bdbc117.jpg

I actually wrote a blog post with pictures about how to trim a tortoise's beak - here is the link if you'd like: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-to-trim-tortoises-beak-with-pictures.html

Don't hesitate to ask questions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

newtothis

5 Year Member
Holy Cow!!! I will be taking off her whole face!!!

I have been steadily working on it. It's much better, but I still have a long ways to go. Fortunately, she doesn't seem to mind in the least.

I have a new habitate built and I have her re-hydrated and she is eating like crazy. I can't believe how intelligent and active they are. She buries herself deeply at night and basks much of the day. She is very brave. The dremel doesn't much phase her, but I only touch it a little every few days. I don't want to risk hitting any blood vessels.

I will head to your blog now! Thank you for in help!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Slow and steady is the best way to be doing it. Sounds like your doing a good job with her.

newtothis

5 Year Member
Here is what the beak looks like now. Getting much closer! How much further do you think?

turtlebeak019_zps2af3d2f4.jpg

turtlebeak016_zps8fea0ff4.jpg

turtlebeak011_zps6cf62642.jpg

turtlebeak002_zps3bba499e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.