Deformed beak in box turtle and eating live foods

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Mr. Pebbles had signs of mbd when I adopted him. The vet trimmed his overgrown beak. I feed him on a rough saucer and he likes cuttlebone so he self filed it the rest of the way and it looks great now. The problem is that his lower beak does not meet up with the upper beak like it should. He has trouble eating live foods because he can't hang onto them. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I feel so bad for him when he's trying to eat live food. I'm wondering if maybe there are certain bugs that might be easier.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
aww, poor fellow. i hope you find a solution.
Me too. He gets so excited when he sees worms and I try to help him but it's still difficult. Most of the time he gets non living protein because it's only the live food he has a problem with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know it's hard to do, especially if you're squeamish, but you can cut the worms up into bite size pieces.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe try catching some worms, saving them up until you have quite a few and placing them in a jumbled pile. Maybe it will be easier to get them and hold on if he grabs a few at once

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I know it's hard to do, especially if you're squeamish, but you can cut the worms up into bite size pieces.
I've tried that and he still can't hold on to them. I dug up pill bugs from the yard and those seemed a bit easier for him. Maybe because they roll up into little balls? That's not an option in winter though. I'm wondering if repti-worms might be easier. Maybe I can try those.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Maybe try catching some worms, saving them up until you have quite a few and placing them in a jumbled pile. Maybe it will be easier to get them and hold on if he grabs a few at once
I tried putting 3 in a pile thinking the same thing. I'll try again but with a lot more worms.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another thought, chop up tiny some of his other fave foods and then put the worms on top of it. Maybe as he grabs a worm, the other foods will stick and help to keep the worm in his mouth and easier for him to chew it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Another thought, chop up tiny some of his other fave foods and then put the worms on top of it. Maybe as he grabs a worm, the other foods will stick and help to keep the worm in his mouth and easier for him to chew it.
Yep, tried that one too! He drops the worm and it frantically crawls away! The problem is since his lower beak is too short there is actually an open space instead of the beaks meeting.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I would try Calci-worms(Black Soldier Fly larvae) if you have a local Pet Supplies Plus or Petsmart near you. They are high in calcium and are about the size of a meal worm. My juvies love them and they are pretty squishy like a silk worm. Now they are alittle more expensive and if any decide to get loose you have a fly to deal with instead of a beetle:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I feed my smaller ones Dubia, I pinch the heads on them, they wiggle but can't crawl away. Super good protein too.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I would try Calci-worms(Black Soldier Fly larvae) if you have a local Pet Supplies Plus or Petsmart near you. They are high in calcium and are about the size of a meal worm. My juvies love them and they are pretty squishy like a silk worm. Now they are alittle more expensive and if any decide to get loose you have a fly to deal with instead of a beetle:)
Yeah I've fed them before....just not since I've had this guy. I'm thinking they might be easier for him though. Those two stores don't carry them where I am though.