How old?

applebob46

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437516995.001037.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437517030.820353.jpg

My Russian tort Marty. Could somebody give me an estimate of how old he is? I can't tell really lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
No one can tell. Is it male? If so I would estimate 10 to 15 years

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think that sounds like a good guesstimate. Mine is about 5-7 years and does look younger and smaller then yours.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think that sounds like a good guesstimate. Mine is about 5-7 years and does look younger and smaller then yours.
Hi. I read that one cannot tell a tort's age. Is this correct?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

As far as I know, one cannot tell a tort's age.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
There is no reliable way. A tortoise grows based on food. Lean years little growth, years of plenty more growth.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It seems to be true, or am I mistaken? I don't mean Tort Forum cannot tell a tort's age, I mean ANYONE. Is this correct?

Appreciate an answer.
Yes, age can only be known, if hatch date is known.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
One more time. You can not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi. I read that one cannot tell a tort's age. Is this correct?
Yes,,that's why they are guesstimates. With pet store bought russians, which most older ones are and are also usually wild caught, you can just about guess them to be over 5 years and more like 7-10. When I got mine, the owner said they though it fwas 5 ?years, I have had it for two I think and so I just guess it to be 5-7 only becuase I have no idea how old it was when the first owner got it or where they got it. He really is probably closer to 10 but he looks younger and looks smaller then most that look older.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Obviously. But when one gets a 'grown up' tort, then how would one tell its age?
You don't. Only a guesstimation can be made. That guesstimation could be wayyyyyyy off. Besides tortoise grow at their own pace, the quality of life they had plays a role too. I have a leopard I rescued. She was suppose to be the same age as the leopard I raised myself. She was less then half the size, because of poor care before I got her. Now, she has almost reached the size of the one that's her same age. If she is really a she, like the old owner said, then she is still way under sized as females are usually larger then the males. Only guesses can be made.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You don't. Only a guesstimation can be made. That guesstimation could be wayyyyyyy off. Besides tortoise grow at their own pace, the quality of life they had plays a role too. I have a leopard I rescued. She was suppose to be the same age as the leopard I raised myself. She was less then half the size, because of poor care before I got her. Now, she has almost reached the size of the one that's her same age. If she is really a she, like the old owner said, then she is still way under sized as females are usually larger then the males. Only guesses can be made.
Thanks a lot your answer.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely tortoise.
However old he may be, you should have many happy years together.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Please read the care sheet to help you enjoy Marty even more for years to come. Wood shavings aren't a good substrate. It needs to hold moisture. Coconut coir or Cyprus bark will do nicely.