How old is my Sulcata?

izel_

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angels
I just recently found out my tortoise Izel is a Sulcata. It is yet to small to find out the gender of my Izel. But i was wondering how i may know how old she/he is. Any info would be great. Thank you. :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1389756197.401080.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to have too tell you this. It is hard if not impossible to tell. They not only grow at their own pace, but without proper care and diet, they may not grow at the rate they would if cared for properly. With this one, and the owners you got it from, not knowing the kind of tortoise it was, I doubt it got proper care. By the pyramiding, it didn't get proper humidity. The best you will get is a guess. If you can contact the place you got her from, they might at least be able to tell you how old, even though they didn't have a clue of species.

izel_

Los Angels
So there is no way in finding out an exact age?

The pyramiding? Can you tell me more about that?
I have a heating light on for her at night and i take her outside to get light from the sun as well since its been hot.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
No there is no way to tell the exact age unfortunately.

Your tortoises' pyramiding isn't too bad. Make sure it always has access to water and gets a fresh well balanced diet and you will be just fine.

izel_

Los Angels
Arizona Sulcata said:
No there is no way to tell the exact age unfortunately.

Your tortoises' pyramiding isn't too bad. Make sure it always has access to water and gets a fresh well balanced diet and you will be just fine.

Thank you so much for the info. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no way to tell the age, as they all grow at very different rates for a wide variety of reason.

Your tortoise needs it dark at night, but still warm. This is most easily accomplished with a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat. You can purchase these items and a ceramic based hood for the CHE at any pet store or order them online.

Please read this care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
Your tortoise needs some help as its had a rough dry start.