How often they lay?

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
hi guys, my red foot tortoise laid 2 eggs a week ago for the first time, i was wondering when she will lay again and if could be another nest in the enclosure thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never seen just two.
The least I've ever gotten is four. Be looking for more.
Many members report multiple clutches each year.
Mine lay about once a year.
How large is she?
Sometimes eggs can get impacted and pass later on or require a veterinarians help.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
i will check for other but this one had been abandoned on the soil i ve thought that the reason could be the age, i don t know her precise size(maybe 25 cm and 3kg of weight) when i come back to my house i will check

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
When I was actively breeding my Northern's they typically clutched 3-4 times a season. They were all at least 10-12 years old.. [ raised from hatchlings actually ] and in the 30 cm range too @tarta4ever

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
thanks for the report, did you mantein the same condition (temperature e humidity) during the year? they need to simulate dry season e wet season thanks again

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
thanks for the report, did you mantein the same condition (temperature e humidity) during the year? they need to simulate dry season e wet season thanks again

When outside about 8-9 months a year the temps varied 75F to sometimes 90+F with humidity from 40% to 90% .. unless you are in Northern South America your temps/humidity ratio would be somewhat different - regardless .. it made no difference with mine which were mostly Northern blood-lines...