How often should hatchlings eat?

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hello. I have three hatchlings that came out in September. All three have eaten, but not much. We brought them inside the beginning of December and I am having a time getting their indoor enclosure right. I recently switched from top soil to peat moss/coconut coir. I think a problem is humidity because, especially now with the new substrate, the humidity is too low at 18-40%. Temp seems to be okay at 78-80. I have a rubbermaid container for them with a UV light and a heat lamp I turn on only when I'm going to feed them. The top of the container is one inch wire squares. I'm trying to come up with some way to cover the top with plastic, but I'm not having any good ideas. I tried using part of the lid, but it was melting.

My main question is, how often should they be eating? If I get the humidity up, would that help? I haven't been able to get them to eat more than once (each) since bringing them in. They hide all the time and I have to dig them out. I've been doing that once a week and soaking them, then putting them in a little tub with a variety of live and veggie foods. They've all gained two grams since we found them and their weight has not gone down since they came indoors. There are some "wild" worms in the habitat, but I highly doubt they are eating on their own.

I have four adults, the oldest being 19, so I am experienced with box turtles, but I'm not excelling with the little ones so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (And one of them ate a worm as I wrote this, so yeehaw).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feed my hatchling leopard twice a day. The temps should be 80 with humidity 80% and basking 100. Closed chamber is the only good way to keep humidity up and temps stable. Plus, give them time to adjust to the new living space.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hello. I have three hatchlings that came out in September. All three have eaten, but not much. We brought them inside the beginning of December and I am having a time getting their indoor enclosure right. I recently switched from top soil to peat moss/coconut coir. I think a problem is humidity because, especially now with the new substrate, the humidity is too low at 18-40%. Temp seems to be okay at 78-80. I have a rubbermaid container for them with a UV light and a heat lamp I turn on only when I'm going to feed them. The top of the container is one inch wire squares. I'm trying to come up with some way to cover the top with plastic, but I'm not having any good ideas. I tried using part of the lid, but it was melting.

My main question is, how often should they be eating? If I get the humidity up, would that help? I haven't been able to get them to eat more than once (each) since bringing them in. They hide all the time and I have to dig them out. I've been doing that once a week and soaking them, then putting them in a little tub with a variety of live and veggie foods. They've all gained two grams since we found them and their weight has not gone down since they came indoors. There are some "wild" worms in the habitat, but I highly doubt they are eating on their own.

I have four adults, the oldest being 19, so I am experienced with box turtles, but I'm not excelling with the little ones so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (And one of them ate a worm as I wrote this, so yeehaw).

My hatchling box turtles love to hide and spend a lot of time being buried. I wouldn't worry about that at all. If the Substrate is damp then that fine because they will be down in it. Ideally you want higher humidity though. The reason you can't keep the humidity up is because of the screen top. If you put foil around the opening the plastic shouldn't melt.

You can offer food daily and they may or may not eat everyday.

Here is an idea for the lights and heat. I have trim that doesn't get hot from the lights and CHE or you can put som foil around the holes too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/quick-and-easy-enclosure.149722/#post-1428782

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
20160925_185455.jpg 20161008_193837.jpg
You need to cover the enclosure to hold in warmth and humidity. Keep temps from low 70s to upper 80s under heat lamp. If you keep the substrate damp and cover the enclosure it will be plenty humid. I fed mine daily when babies.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for the ideas and advice. Very helpful. I think I'll get more moisture in the substrate and see if foil can work with my set up to help keep more moisture in the box. I'll definitely start feeding more as well. The littlest one stayed out last night for like an hour slowly eating a nightcrawler.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I been raising 7 of them for about 5-6 months in a Tupperware container about 15"x 10" . it's inside an aquarium with a fluorescent fixture and a che , all covered with tinfoil , the sphagnum moss is kept soaking wet , with standing water on the bottom for them to drink ......... I find it simple and easy to clean ....... they'll make it in here till may when I put them back outside ..........
DSCF2580.jpg

DSCF2581.jpg

DSCF2588.jpg

DSCF2590.jpg

DSCF2591.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my baby box turtle routine:

I get them up in the a.m. and place them into a bowl of warm water that has blood worms in it. I leave them soaking in the water and out of sight of me while I fix the food. I chop up some fruit, veg (zucchini or yellow squash or carrot or cucumber, etc.) and greens, and sometimes I'll mix in a tiny bit of canned cat food just to get the veg to smell more appetizing to them. I place this mixture on a feeding tile then I add either blood worms or black worms or pin head crickets, etc. to the top of the pile. I do this once a day and generally by the end of the day it's all gone.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since the original question was "How often Should Hatchlings Eat" -- i think the answer is, as OFTEN and as MUCH as they want.

I'm sure that in the wild, hatchlings emerge in the best of food times (usually) and eat as much as they want!