How often can my Russian Tortoise eat rose petals/ leaves?

ErikaSierra

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
I found out my tortoise really enjoys red rose petals and was wondering how often/ how much they are allowed to have daily/ weekly? He’s about a year old. Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure these are not roses you are buying from a florist or grocery store or gas station.
Only those you grow or someone else you know grows.
As long as it's part of a varied diet, feeding as a treat a couple times a week is fine.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

What kind of tortoise do you have and how big is it? Some types tolerate/need more sugar than others.

ErikaSierra

Tucson
Be sure these are not roses you are buying from a florist or grocery store or gas station.
As long as it's part of a varied diet, feeding as a treat a couple times a week is fine.
I agree with Wellington. A couple fo times per week mixed in with other stuff is great
Thank you for your response! We have rose bushes in my backyard so no pesticides or preservatives 😇

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

ErikaSierra

Tucson

ErikaSierra

Tucson
I inherited a bunch of roses at my house and I don't really like them, but now am glad for them. Mine prefers the "peach" ones over either the red or white, which is kind of interesting. Maybe its the smell? Here's a video of him eating them:

I inherited a bunch of roses at my house and I don't really like them, but now am glad for them. Mine prefers the "peach" ones over either the red or white, which is kind of interesting. Maybe its the smell? Here's a video of him eating them:

Definitely gonna plant more flowers/ plants for mine 😇

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
OP my Russian is bigger than yours but back when I might offer an entire rose it really depended on the size and type of rose. The climbing rose at my house is a bit scrappy; the roses aren't huge and have perhaps twenty petals each; it also has a limited bloom season. A fancy garden rose might be much larger and packed with petals, others are bred to bloom close to year round. That fluffy type I might feed one or two a week while the flowers are in season. I probably wouldn't feed the constant bloomers more than four or five months a year. Nowadays we don't really feed an entire rose; we just let ours have the petals that drop over the fence and watch her make the occasional hoovering lap around the yard.

I find it more useful to consider overall sugars in the diet. My tortoise gets very little in the way of high sugar vegetables and never fruit so I don't worry too much about the seasonal flowers she finds in our small yard. We don't have anything with big flowers or a long season so overconsumption isn't likely. She's getting the heavy majority of her diet from leafy plants, which is the most important thing.

ErikaSierra

Tucson
OP my Russian is bigger than yours but back when I might offer an entire rose it really depended on the size and type of rose. The climbing rose at my house is a bit scrappy; the roses aren't huge and have perhaps twenty petals each; it also has a limited bloom season. A fancy garden rose might be much larger and packed with petals, others are bred to bloom close to year round. That fluffy type I might feed one or two a week while the flowers are in season. I probably wouldn't feed the constant bloomers more than four or five months a year. Nowadays we don't really feed an entire rose; we just let ours have the petals that drop over the fence and watch her make the occasional hoovering lap around the yard.

I find it more useful to consider overall sugars in the diet. My tortoise gets very little in the way of high sugar vegetables and never fruit so I don't worry too much about the seasonal flowers she finds in our small yard. We don't have anything with big flowers or a long season so overconsumption isn't likely. She's getting the heavy majority of her diet from leafy plants, which is the most important thing.
Thank you so much for your comment 😇 I wasn’t sure how many would be okay so I limited it to 3 petals & then I didn’t know if letting him have some during that same week after having 3 but I do limit his sugar intake and offer him collard greens and veggies

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What's pretty nice is you know his acheles heel. So if you keep the petals as a treat and just sprinkle a few now and then strategically you can sneak what you choose into his diet. My Russian loves zucchini. No matter what is on it he'll devour a little chunk.😉

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you so much for your comment 😇 I wasn’t sure how many would be okay so I limited it to 3 petals & then I didn’t know if letting him have some during that same week after having 3 but I do limit his sugar intake and offer him collard greens and veggies
I wouldn't worry at all about three petals! I would worry if the majority of the diet is vegetables, the majority should be leafy greens of as many options you can provide. Collards alone definitely isn't enough.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I found out my tortoise really enjoys red rose petals and was wondering how often/ how much they are allowed to have daily/ weekly? He’s about a year old. Thanks in advance
If your tortoise is four inches he is not a year old; he is closer to three or four. Same goes as to his sex; you would not at all be able to distinguish at that age. Did you perhaps get him at a chain pet store? It is common for them to not know or misrepresent their age. It would also mean they sold you some things you didn't need and/or an enclosure that is way too small. I encourage you to browse the Russian subforum and read the care sheet pinned to the top.