How long until I see some personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChadley

5 Year Member
I just got a Russian Tortoise about a week ago. I did a lot of research, and made a point to find the tortoise with the most personality, which everyone said would be a Russian. He's 10 years old, and I got him from a Rescue.

I know he needs a while to get used to his new environment, and to get used to me, and I can be patient.

My question is, how long does it usually take? I hear stories about how they will follow their owners around, come out when their owners come home, and have a generally curious and spunky attitude. I haven't seen any of this from Malcolm, but I get that. So how long does it usually take for a tortoise to get comfortable with a new environment?

Also, I'm using 1/2 sand and 1/2 coconut fiber for his substrate, which I read on here is good. Do I need to add water to give him more humidity though? I keep reading about how important humidity is, but I need see any tips about how humid his enclosure should be, or how to accomplish that.

Thanks!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Posts some pics! We love to see em!

Have you been spending time with him? Talking to him? I would try handfeeding some goodies. I suggest radicchio, or frisee. All of my torts LOVE that. Red Bell Pepper is also a favorite.

You want to know him, and for that to happen, he has to know you. :)

What have you been doing with him so far?

MrChadley

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
Posts some pics! We love to see em!

Have you been spending time with him? Talking to him? I would try handfeeding some goodies. I suggest radicchio, or frisee. All of my torts LOVE that. Red Bell Pepper is also a favorite.

You want to know him, and for that to happen, he has to know you. :)

What have you been doing with him so far?

Since I got him, I've been making a point to either take him out side and let him roam the lawn or take him out and let him roam my room at least once a day. Whenever I let him out in my room he just finds a corner, digs at it, then sits there- not very active.

Every time I feed him I turn his body so he can see me putting the food in his "table" because I want him to associate me as the "feeder" and not just think the food appears. Also, I've been bringing him Dandelion flowers for him to eat, since those are their favorite. He won't eat them out of my hand yet though, I've tried.

He's finally at the point where he will let me pet his head, and not tuck himself in every time I pick him up.

I also added extra substrate to the corners of his tank (well, table) so he could dig at it, since that's his favorite thing to do.

I posted some pics in an introduction thread, but here they are again:

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I think the free roaming is doing more harm than good. Outside time is good, but letting him on the floor isn't fun for him. Its a foreign place and very exposed. It is natural that he wants to hide. He is a Wild caught Russian, which is why being outside is less upsetting than being on a floor indoors. Plus there are all sorts of things he could ingest indoors that can be harmful. I never let my tortoises on the floor.

Instead of physically moving him when you feed, waggle a leaf at him and "lead" him to his breakfast. Talk nicely to him the whole time. Touching him in that manner is predatory. Until he knows you, its just going to upset him.

I have three torts, and none of them "enjoys" being picked up. But they love a good shell rub or scratch and my girls like to be talked too.

MrChadley

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I think the free roaming is doing more harm than good. Outside time is good, but letting him on the floor isn't fun for him. Its a foreign place and very exposed. It is natural that he wants to hide. He is a Wild caught Russian, which is why being outside is less upsetting than being on a floor indoors. Plus there are all sorts of things he could ingest indoors that can be harmful. I never let my tortoises on the floor.

Instead of physically moving him when you feed, waggle a leaf at him and "lead" him to his breakfast. Talk nicely to him the whole time. Touching him in that manner is predatory. Until he knows you, its just going to upset him.

I have three torts, and none of them "enjoys" being picked up. But they love a good shell rub or scratch and my girls like to be talked too.

These are good tips! I wondered why he loved being outside but didn't seem to enjoy being inside. That makes sense!

The idea of leading him to the food is much better than moving him around.

Does it matter what time of day I feed him? I can either do it early (at 8am) and have to wake him up and make him eat, or I can do it around 12, during my lunch-break, or I can feed him at around 5:30-6, depending on when I get home from work. Which of these times is best for him?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I would just try to feed before 5pm--mine seem to start slowing down and getting ready to burrow under about then. But since you are up early, morning I'd say, would be best.

MrChadley

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I would just try to feed before 5pm--mine seem to start slowing down and getting ready to burrow under about then. But since you are up early, morning I'd say, would be best.

I see. So the earlier the better.

Thanks for your help! I'm going to use these tips!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No problem! Feel free to PM if you need to. I'm here to help!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
It took Coco (my russian) 4 months to come to me when i walk outside, but let me tell you, when i walk in his pen, he is ON TOP OF ME!!!!!!!

MrChadley

5 Year Member
terracolson said:
It took Coco (my russian) 4 months to come to me when i walk outside, but let me tell you, when i walk in his pen, he is ON TOP OF ME!!!!!!!

That sounds awesome! How old is Coco? Is Coco wild caught or bred in captivity?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
CoCo is from the pet store... so your guess is as good as mine.

When my mother in law got him, he was very shy, now he RUNS I tell you RUNS

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't believe that. Why do they have ears if they are deaf?

I talk to all three of mine, and I do believe they can hear me.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have to disagree with Meg and Terry about tortoise hearing. By definition of the word, tortoises aren't deaf. But it's very doubtful that they can hear anything more than low frequency sounds which rules out the normal human voice. It's more likely they hear and feel vibration, not true, definable sound.

A number of years ago a few of my tortoises and I were involved in some experiments carried out by a student at a local college. She was comparing different levels of animals and their ability to recognize humans by sight and sound. The tortoises failed on all counts of sound recognition and most counts of sight recognition.

So if someone has visual and sound proof that tortoises can hear our voices and recognize them I listening! (Pun intended). I still believe that the need for our tortoises to hear and recognize us is based on human emotion, not on their senses. Yes, mine do come running when they see me, like everyone elses probably does. Not because they're happy to see me, but because they know I'm their source of food. Oddly when I speak nearby but am out of sight they don't stop what they're doing and come running or perk their head up because of familiar voice Why is that?

Just my opinion based on what I have experienced.

chadk

10 Year Member!
The 50/50 mix is supposed to be by weight and not volume. Many people dont' get this and just try to mix the parts equally by volume and it is WAY too sandy.

Many of us are just avoiding sand altogether. Soil mixed with some spag. moss works pretty good. Yes, you want a substrate that will hold moisture. No need to worry about measuring humidity, just go by look and feel. If you did down below the first thin layer, it should be moist (not soaking\muddy, just moist). Add water as needed to keep it that way. I pour in quite a bit about every other day. What you DO want to measure is the temps - basking spot, warm end, cool end. You want microclimates so the tort can thermoregulate.

I would avoid handling at all for several weeks. Just sit down and feed it and let it get used to you being around. Maybe gently reach in and clean and move things around here and there. But just give him plenty of space and a feeling of security. He should have a nice dark and cozy hide that he can go and bury himself in.

Status
Not open for further replies.