How long does a hatchling sleep

Carolgiles

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
I am a bit concerned. It is normal for a young hatchling to bury itself and sleep for about 20 hours per day?
It gets a soak every day then has dinner wanders around for a bit the goes back into the substrate

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a lot more info to be able to help.
Please answer all questions.
Species?
Temps-basking? All over? Night?
Humidity?
Type of enclosure?
Substrate?
Type of exact bulbs and heat you are using?

Jasminemmm

Schaumburg, IL
I am a bit concerned. It is normal for a young hatchling to bury itself and sleep for about 20 hours per day?
It gets a soak every day then has dinner wanders around for a bit the goes back into the substrate
I would say it is pretty normal for a hatching to sleep long hours especially during this time of the year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would say it is pretty normal for a hatching to sleep long hours especially during this time of the year.
Not 20 hours out of only 24 hours. Not any of mine. They do sleep a lot, but not this much. Likely something, temp or type of lighting is off.
That's why getting the answers to the questions asked is needed before a good answer can be given.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I agree with @wellington they do sleep a lot but something is off if they're actually sleeping 20hr straight. Is it a new enclosure? It does take them some time to get comfortable in their new home he/she could just be hiding or the temperature is off.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome, Carolgiles. Please try to let us really help you by telling us the details that Wellington asked you for, and post some pictures so we can see what's going on? Thank you.

Pák

Esztergom
My 8 month old sulcata still likes to sleep 16 hours straight.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My 8 month old sulcata still likes to sleep 16 hours straight.
And are you sure everything is correct? Temps, humidity, enclosure size?
They should not sleep that much if everything done correctly, specially if it's not a new enclosure to them.

Pák

Esztergom
Yes, everything is according to this forum, i upgraded his space from 10 to 20+ square feet reecently because of his growth, it doesnt change his sleeping habit at all.
But its not normal for them if there is a 12 hours day/night cycle to go in the hide a few hours before its got dark? He always tuck his head out when the lights turn up in the morning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, everything is according to this forum, i upgraded his space from 10 to 20+ square feet reecently because of his growth, it doesnt change his sleeping habit at all.
But its not normal for them if there is a 12 hours day/night cycle to go in the hide a few hours before its got dark? He always tuck his head out when the lights turn up in the morning.
Yes, they do sleep a lot and will go into their hide even with lights on. But they should still have 12-14 hours of light and should roam 2-3 times a day. At least my leopard hatchlings always did and even the hatchling I bought. I also sat for two hatchlings a few years back and they didn't sleep that much.
Wrong lighting, temps, humidity, to new or too small enclosure all can play in them not wanting to explore more. They will/should come out in morning and likely hide during what would be the hottest part of the day we're they outside, but then should come back out at least once more. Be sure there is food, so they can graze all day if they wanted.