How high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
High enough so that she can stand on her hind legs on whatever is next to the wall and still not reach the top with her arms (or see over). If in doubt, go higher than you think.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
in my experience as long as they cant possibly see over it they dont try to get over it....but when in doubt always go higher...

tortpenpiclrgpool.jpg

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Two blocks has almost always worked for me, though I have had to go a bit higher for yellow foots and my Bolivian's as they are so big!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
NEtorts said:
in my experience as long as they cant possibly see over it they dont try to get over it....but when in doubt always go higher...

tortpenpiclrgpool.jpg
Very nice enclosures!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I love that fence NEtorts! Very nice, I can't wait to put Oscar outside again and get some improvements going!
Oscars wall is a foot high, with netting over the top. He's only 6 inches so he cannot see over it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use two blocks for smaller torts and my 50-70 pound sulcatas are contained by three blocks high.

smc

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
My DT climbed up a 4' fence made of chicken wire and 2x4's. "Where's Pebble? there he is - stuck at the top of the fence!" He climbed up the corner where 2 wood fences meet in the new yard, but since he has grown, he doesn't climb much anymore. Cinder blocks couldn't contain him, and his buddy Lenny usually got stuck in the holes chasing after him.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
thanks, im glad you like it, im sure i will have to expand again this year, if I do it a little each year my wife doesnt flip out! eventually she will realize that I have converted our whole back yard into tort pen!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Marty333 said:
thanks everyone for the replies! My dad started measuring out Novas pen yesterday I will start a new thread on the progress of it!

Can't wait to see the progress!! I'm looking for ideas for Nelson's outdoor enclosure now that he's old enough to be outside all day :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
My outdoor enclosures are made from 3/4" pressure treated plywood buried about 3-4" in the ground with about 12" above ground. The whole "compound" is surrounded by a 4' high heavy gauge wire perimeter fence. None of my tortoises are over 10" long, maybe a couple close to 11", but I've never had a problem with any of them climbing over. The advantage of using 3/4" plywood is that it can be cut, assembled and installed very quickly with minimal digging. That's especially good here where there are large rocks every other foot!
The photo below is an older photo of some of my enclosures, they've since gone through a renovation, but it at least gives the general idea of the enclosure sides:

Picture142.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.