How do you "vacation"?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I'm curious and I got to thinking, how do others "vacation"? Don't be embarrassed, we won't tell anyone!

I'm not asking about how wonderful the places you go are or how much money you spend but how do YOU act on vacation?

Are you relaxed or twisted when you travel?

Are you a "nervous-Nelly" who worries about every detail, or are you the one that somehow finds the ticket on your phone & passport that fell out of your pocket and stumbles haphazardly to your destination?

Do you understand that there are always more flights and neither Foreign nor US Customs doesn't really care if you miss one, or are you the guy or gal I love seeing?
Pro travel tip; There is ALWAYS one of these in a Customs line, just scan for them, they will be there, twisted to the max.

Do you get drunk on the planes?

Have you joined the mile high club? Have you tried but failed? (I've heard this happens with older folks, as we THEY lose that ability to bend into a pretzel)

Are you a powder keg that's only one miscommunication with someone from another land away from having an "episode" in front of us all? LOL (They are my 2nd fav people on vac....they are the snapping turtles)

Are you the guy or gal that has eyes for everyone but the one you are with?

Do you go on vac to do things that for whatever reason, you can't at home? (no explanations are needed, we don't judge)

Some folks plan it to the minute, maximizing and coming home exhausted but majorly refreshed.

Others are very different and enjoy meandering at their destinations, sometimes much to the consternation of those with them. (they are not suited to vac together)

Some folks overpack, some under pack (why is "overpack" 1 word but under pack is 2?).

Then there is the whole Vacation partner thing.....if a couple, do you travel well together or are you the couple that bickers?

I also have rules;

I travel VERY laid back....I go onto "vacation mode" after day 2 or 3.....and really don't care if you nuke dc. As the result, I don't get twisted and just have fun with folks. If something comes up, we deal, make it go away and continue having fun.

No getting mad, ever......there's usually an adult response available and when there isn't, there's plastic!

Finances are best dealt with at home, pay the piper if needed and deal with it after your trip! (We had this happen in Belize-I didn't stress and found that Expedia had already refunded me when I logged on in the airport coming home in Charlotte NC)

NEVER worry about cost on vac. It should be the one trip where you put that stuff in the back of your mind and become generous(it makes it easier to pay "gouge" prices LOL)! See #1 above

As a rule of thumb, always assume 1/2 of the base cost(air/hotel) added into your budget so you never feel restrained from doing something due to the cost while you are there.

Remember, there are no reset buttons, this is your life and how you choose to sail through it or sample each dish is up to you......have fun, it won't kill you!

So how do you guys take your vacations?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We don't get drunk or even drink on the plane. No mile high club, never wanted to try to join, seems two bit hotel dive style lol.
We are early to the airport, well actually early every place we go, I dislike people always being late. The days we travel to and from is usually not so relaxed, due more to hubby than me. But once we are off the plane, and to our living destination, then it's relax on. We always get a place to stay that we really want to enjoy, so we can relax and enjoy that space when we are in it. We are not ones to be gone all day. We relax and lay around until we are ready to go do something. We usually plan things to do/see that's a must on our list ahead of time, but we decide when to do them after we have arrived to destination. We mostly do a lot one day, next day is a relax day and so on. I don't make phone calls and I don't want to receive any. Money spending is not an issue, we do or buy what we want, but we have cut back on things we buy. Once we had to buy another bag to get all the stuff home we bought, also have had things shipped home lol.
We are home bodies for the most part, so we do bigger vacations only every other year, smaller weekend ones several times a year.
We do everything 98% together, no going off to do something on your own. We don't do our big vacation with family or friends. Not into having to worry about always including someone else in. We are friendly people but really don't want to make friends on our vacations.
We need a big vacation. Haven't had one since 2019. Life crap and then COVID, ugh.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I prefer AirBnbs or similar to hotels... we like to shop and cook like locals.

We like exploring a place by car or on foot, not in group tourist outings.

The last few years, I've done a number of trips through Trusted Housesitter, staying in people's homes in exchange for watching their pets and watering plants and such... it's a nice way to do things and saves a ton of money for everyone.

I enjoy reading and sleeping in and exploring to see cool sights and animal attractions and the occasional museum, and trying locally famous food and drink.

Jamie

WillB

New York City
My wife and I plan our vacations by the hour and we try to cram as much stuff in our schedule as we can. Always have backup plans if things didn’t go as planned.

FREE BREAKFAST is a must for me when it comes to hotels. Other than that we don’t usually use any other amenities hotels provide.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I prefer AirBnbs or similar to hotels... we like to shop and cook like locals.

We like exploring a place by car or on foot, not in group tourist outings.

The last few years, I've done a number of trips through Trusted Housesitter, staying in people's homes in exchange for watching their pets and watering plants and such... it's a nice way to do things and saves a ton of money for everyone.

I enjoy reading and sleeping in and exploring to see cool sights and animal attractions and the occasional museum, and trying locally famous food and drink.

Jamie
We do the same, mostly airbnbs. We always do a car and never bus tours. Even though we do the airbnbs, we usually still eat out. Always doing the animal things. I also love just sitting on the ocean beach, bigger vacations always on an ocean, people watching, and walking the beach for shells or crabs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
lol I know what vacation is I just haven’t had one in so long I’ve forgotten what its like
Yeah, i figured that’s what you meant. I know what you mean. I used to travel a lot for work to some interesting Middle East & European countries. Sometimes for upwards of a month. Lived overseas at many spots too. So, once I retired, it’s been mostly long weekends nearby or an occasional kayaking trip to Florida.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We moved from a city to village near the sea, and can get to any number of lovely places for a day trip - then we met Zola, and realised that we couldn't go abroad because of him, anyway. Fortunately, he loves sitting on my lap in the car, and happily accepts going just about anywhere with us.
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
don't or can't?

where do you vacation when you live in paradise
Ha. Trust me. Unless you are here on Vacation, it's no paradise. Paradise is the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia. Hey...was that a Goanna???!!! I went there once and just wanted to get lost and not go back home...for a few weeks more, anyway. But really, I love the sea like the air I breathe. I am totally happy in the sea, or on it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ha. Trust me. Unless you are here on Vacation, it's no paradise. Paradise is the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia. Hey...was that a Goanna???!!! I went there once and just wanted to get lost and not go back home...for a few weeks more, anyway. But really, I love the sea like the air I breathe. I am totally happy in the sea, or on it.
Always wanted to visit Jamaica but the danger level is way high. I know the resorts are probably safe, but they all look the same. Except for the accent, which I could listen to all day, I could be at any tropical place. The high danger areas are the places I'd want to Vaca but to see the true area not the resorts.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Thanks guys, I am always curious how other folks do things.

The only two common denominators are that we as a group, aren't the "Party hearty" group, and most of us don't like group tours!

Airbnbs.....I've kicked around the idea but staying in someone's home seems creepy to me. I would be scanning for tech.....you know, cams LOL

Jamaica is different for me because I'm more familiar. Yes, there are bad people there just like in Baltimore and I know how to avoid both. For Americans, stay out of the Kingston & Montego bay city areas, shoot straight to Westmoreland & Hanover parishes and enjoy life! Remember, every country that relies on Tourism typically protects it's income.....you will be safe up there! The locals also don't really tolerate too many shenanigan's with others messing with their income so they get chased off. This is a country without road rage or beggars............sounds like a good start to me!

Come On W, go down, learn Patwah, have your hair put into dreads and yah mon......