WamBamCam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Tx

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Just toss the seed mix where you want them to grow, cover them lightly with soil, provide enough light, and keep it constantly moist until they start to sprout. They [each type of seed in the mix] do germinate at different rates but usually within a few days of each other. In 4-6 weeks or so, everything will have grown in well enough for grazing/browsing.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
My mom always told me to wet the soil before throwing the seeds in and covering them. Depending on the needs of the plant, she also sometimes covered the pot with a freezer bag and a large rubber band to make a mini greenhouse to help keep them moist until they were sprouting.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Sounds like a plastic container with a lid would work perfectly. Cause I keep my substrate in one and it's really humid

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine always sprout first in the bottom pen that has the highest humidity but not necesarrily the highest temps.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
WamBamCam said:
Could a 50 gallon plastic container be used to house the seeds to grow?

You can grow the mix in any type of container that suits your purposes. I bought disposable plastic cups from Sam's Club/Costco and sometimes grow seed mix in those. That way, I can rotate them in and out of my enclosure and decorate/feed without something large to lug around. I have large trays of mix, too, though.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I just fill a long, shallow planter box with soil. Moisten, sprinkle seeds, cover lightly with more soil and moisten again. Then I leave it outside. Water daily. It takes about a week or so to sprout them to about a few inches above ground. Then I put that whole box in his outside enclosure. I have several, so I rotate them. While he's mowing down one, I'm growing another full tray.

I'm not sure what I'll do in the winter. Probably something like the plastic bag over it.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Alright thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to start growing my own plants now. Where do y'all get your seeds from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoisesupply.com (linked above) has a really great Testudo mix. One of my favorites for any species.

I get all sorts of seeds from groworganic.com too. Also linked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.