How do I keep our Tortoise safe with no power?

KarenC

Location (City and/or State)
MA
We are in New England and there is a possibility of 2 feet of snow in our area - with that there is a chance we may lose power and we do not have a generator - any suggestions on keeping our Tortoise warm while we are stuck waiting out the storm should the power go out? (we have a very long driveway and someone who comes to plow us out - so leaving the house is not always an option)
Thanks
Karen

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Heat packs work well to keep them warm. I know the storms coming I day and tomorrow but you should load up on them incase if this situation. If your already trapped and can't go to the store. Warm water in water bottles wrapped in like a towel may work. Only thing is you have to keep up with the water cooling. The heat packs are nice cuz they usually last long periods of time

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm in the same boat, Karen! I'm already sick of shoveling and the snow hasn't even fallen yet :-/

Get a big pack of hand warmers. Warm water works too if you have a way to heat it up.

Good luck, stay warm :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How cold will it be in the house? I assume that if there are people there, inside, it won't get that cold; will there be some sort of heat?

Douglas Yardley

I found that chemical warmer packs worked OK. If there is really no other way, wrap the tortoise in an old towel and take it to bed with you. I did that once.

KarenC

MA
Thanks we may have some hand and food warmers left from soccer - I'm hoping the heat won't drop too fast IF we lose heat - right now things are good - and I've added some foil to the top of her tank to help keep the heat in - because the house does get to be more on the cold side in general.
Thanks - I've got a plan and that's what I needed - here's hoping the power stays on - be safe everyone dealing with bad weather.
Karen

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Don't forget about cars and trucks, they have heater and defrost vents that can be used to heat things up like water, towels, etc. Good Luck, maybe you wont loose electricity.