Houston...we have a [bug] problem!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buffalo, NY
To the mods: I wasn't sure if I should put this thread under the "Enclosures" section or "General Tortoise Discussion"...If you feel that it should be moved to the Enclosures Section, please feel free to move & I apologize in advance...wasn't sure :shy:

Okay, so I came home from work the other day and picked up the leftover dried up, shriveled food from Tilly's enclosure, and as I did...(btw, it's grossing me out reliving it as I type the words, it's giving me the heebeejeebees!!!) I noticed a ton of little teeny-tiny whitish (almost clear) insects crawling all over the substrate, right under where the shriveled up lettuce leafs were. Size-wise, I'd say almost microscopic, like the size of the opening in a sewing needle. They were moving around too fast, and way too small to take a picture of to show you. I freaked out and texted Nick at work telling him exactly what I saw. He said to dump out all the substrate, clean the entire enclosure out with soap and water, buy fresh substrate that night, and throw out the rocks had picked from train tracks (across the street from where we live), since he feared maybe the bugs came from inside the rock? Soo...I went out to a new pet store that specializes in reptiles (a local one), whom, might I add, also knows what they are doing/talking about AND actually takes good care of their animals they're selling (unlike the other pet shops I had been to recently)....anyways...So I bought a big bag of zoo-med cypress mulch and we put it in her enclosure right after we cleaned the heck out of it first. So far, no bugs...

Should I be freaking out like this? These little tiny insect things were so gross looking, and fast moving...Does this come from substrate (it was a combination of sphagnum peat moss and cypress mulch....from Home Depot...prior to the new bag I just got from the pet store after noticing the insects) or does it come from the rocks we picked from the railroad tracks? Are all insects bad?

Any advice/comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
they were more than likely either wood mites or spring tails. if the enclosure wasn't very humid, probably not spring tails. more likely wood mites. they usually don't harm/bother the reptile. they are not parasitic mites that feed on the blood of the reptiles. you may get rid of them if you freeze or bake the mulch.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree, they were probably springtails or wood mites. I feed them to my salamanders, they are totally harmless.

You don't have to throw everything out like that. A 1:20 solution of bleach and water would clean the rocks, and as Cameron said, just bake the substrate at 200 for a half an hour or so.

They might look a little icky, but no reason to panic. I sometimes laugh at this stuff, and no insult is intended, but...

Of course, a wild tortoise would NEVER come into contact with a bug :p :)

These are springtails

springtails2.JPG

M

Maggie Cummings

I hate them too, they are probably spring tails and they come from the moist substrate. I haven't ever figured out how clean substrate gets bugs but it does. Right now I have rolie polie's in with some small tortoises and they seriously gross me out where the heck did they come from???

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, Rollie Pollies gross you out? Too funny ;)

Would it make you feel better if I told you that they are NOT bugs ? :)

Rollie Pollies are crustaceans :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
kyryah said:
LOL, Rollie Pollies gross you out? Too funny ;)

Would it make you feel better if I told you that they are NOT bugs ? :)

Rollie Pollies are crustaceans :D
And numnums for my rfs, hingies, boxies, MEPs, and Forstens.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
the rollie pollies are great to have in there...they will eat any food leftovers and other wastes....a lot of people use them in tarantula cages to help clean up...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just got through taking all of the dirt out of Dale's enclosure do to Earwigs. I figured there must be millions in there by now, but actually there were probably just 50 or so and now they're outside with all the other bugs. :D Dale is very upset about this and hopefully tomorrow I'm going to fill his enclosure with cypress mulch. Hopefully that will keep the bugs down. ;)

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
The biggest reason for our concern is that I had never seen these bugs in the enclosure before...and when I spotted them that day, there were 50+, maybe even 100. They do look pretty close to the ones in the picture that kyryah posted, so I'm guessing that's what they were. We were worried maybe they were parasites. Yes, I know turtles/tortoies can and do consume bugs sometimes in the wild, but just wanted to make sure these bugs weren't in any way harmful to our Tilly...

Status
Not open for further replies.