Tortoise-Safe Bug Killer

HuskyDaneMom

So, like many others, we have flying bugs in Cruz's enclosure. They are small and I would guess they are gnats.

I know they are not dangerous to Cruz, but in this case they may be.

My husband hates, loathe and despises bugs. If someone could rid the world of insects he would be all in even if it caused ecological disaster. That's how strongly he feels.

If I can't get rid of the gnats he will want me to get rid of Cruz. I, of course, don't want that.

When I told him I wanted a tort his only requirement was "no live food." He specifically didn't want crickets or bugs that could get out of the cage. While the gnats aren't food and thus don't violate the letter of the agreement, they do go against the spirit of it.

So, what are my options? I see suggestions of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Would this be safe to spray on substrate? Cruz is not a substrate eater but he would come into contact with it.

Another idea is a gnat trap with water, dish soap and vinegar. I think I can put this where Cruz couldn't get to it so it seems like a good option.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tried-and-true solutions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bake or boil your substrate before using it. You can take it out and still bake or boil it. Bake 200-250 for about 3 hours. I would not put anything on the substrate. However putting it in a bowl up out of reach might help.
Baking or boiling will keep the bugs away for a long time. However, there is a good chance they will come back. A monthly or every 3 month routine of baking or boiling would keep them gone for good. At least it should.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've read of a lot of gnat issues when folks have used coir or moss. But I never encountered them in all of the years I used damp orchid bark with potting soil on top.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
So, like many others, we have flying bugs in Cruz's enclosure. They are small and I would guess they are gnats.

I know they are not dangerous to Cruz, but in this case they may be.

My husband hates, loathe and despises bugs. If someone could rid the world of insects he would be all in even if it caused ecological disaster. That's how strongly he feels.

If I can't get rid of the gnats he will want me to get rid of Cruz. I, of course, don't want that.

When I told him I wanted a tort his only requirement was "no live food." He specifically didn't want crickets or bugs that could get out of the cage. While the gnats aren't food and thus don't violate the letter of the agreement, they do go against the spirit of it.

So, what are my options? I see suggestions of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Would this be safe to spray on substrate? Cruz is not a substrate eater but he would come into contact with it.

Another idea is a gnat trap with water, dish soap and vinegar. I think I can put this where Cruz couldn't get to it so it seems like a good option.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or tried-and-true solutions?
Do you feed your tortoise fruit,because they sound like fruit flies,

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
The humid conditions you create for your torts welfare is also ideal for bugs , gnats and other unwanted critters ! I think one way if its really necessary would be to have 2 units of substrate that you could change out at the first sign of bugs ! one batch for the enclosure , and the other to clean by boiling ,or baking or however you choose to rid it of bugs and have ready for the next "switch" ! Lot of work , but only you can decide whats necessary in your situation !

mgreen

10 Year Member!
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
I used Gnatrol WDG as a drench on the substrate. Needs multiple drenching over a 2-3 week period. No more fungus gnats! Search Amazon for it.