Housing

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hello.
It's been awhile since I was active but I need some advice. I have a Greek, who is a couple if years old and I realize that it is now time for me to change Darwin's housing area. I was wondering what size, roughly, it should be. Now size is kind of an issue, but it should be fine if it's not very large. Also, I was wondering if it should be wood or glass. Something that should be noted is that it will have to be elevated, atop a shelf or table, because I have a cat and Darwin needs to be somewhere he won't be bothered.
If you need any more information please ask away.

Thanks

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
How big is Darwin?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi
Four foot by eight foot would be a minimum enclosure size for a Greek tortoise, in my opinion.
I think mine would go crazy in anything smaller.
If you haven't the space a double decker enclosure with a ramp may be a solution for you.
Look at the enclosures section for examples.
For this size, wood would be my choice, either make it from scratch or get a large bookcase or too, lie them on their backs and knock out the shelves, line them with a shower curtain and you have the beginnings of a good enclosure.
if you have an closed chamber enclosure, the cat should not be an issue.
And welcome back, though I am still fairly new here.:)

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot for that reply. It was very helpful. I'll be sure to take that I to account

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Glad to hear from you.;)

I would suggest a wooden enclosure; as torts do not understand that they cannot get out of an enclosure made of glass. They keep trying to escape and this causes a lot of stress to them.:(

Please keep us updated, and good luck to you and Darwin!:)

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Hi

Thanks a it for the replies. I've ordered one. It's made from wood, it comes with a little cave-hide built into it, almost like another little room. I think it'll be good.

Thanks

L Corn

Hi

Thanks a it for the replies. I've ordered one. It's made from wood, it comes with a little cave-hide built into it, almost like another little room. I think it'll be good.

Thanks

Hi,
Where did you buy your tank that is made of wood and comes with a little cave-hide built in? Did it come with heating lights etc?
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi L Corn:

You have to be careful buying those tort tables already made, because quite a few of them aren't big enough for the type of tortoise you want to house in it. They're ok for baby tortoises, but usually not big enough for grown tortoises. And, no, they don't come with heat and lights.

L Corn

Hi L Corn:

You have to be careful buying those tort tables already made, because quite a few of them aren't big enough for the type of tortoise you want to house in it. They're ok for baby tortoises, but usually not big enough for grown tortoises. And, no, they don't come with heat and lights.
Thank you! Frederick is in a 30x12 inch tank with sliding glass doors on one side that I bought when he was a baby at East Bay Varvium in Berkley, Ca. I am going now on saturday to get him a bigger tank. They are expensice for example the one I got when I got Fred was $150.00 that was for the one I purchased. I have to say that he has figured out how to open his door and come out. So we let him as long as the room he is in is warm enough and only for a few hours. But he loves cruzing around. But I have to get him a bigger space for sure. All the home made ones are fun but wished there was more posts of inside housing for Greeks. I love photos because it shows me how creative or not folks are. Also Yvonne thank you for your post!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Housing for Greeks is pretty much the same for any of the other Testudo species.

There is no ready made home that you can buy. They need something about 4x8 feet, and it will be difficult to maintain the needed moderate humidity in an open topped enclosure.

It sounds like you bought the ZooMed tortoise house and those are much too small, too open on top, not a good design for tortoises, and the wood will leak and rot with the damp substrate that you should be using.

Also, the glass thing is a persistent old myth as evidenced by your own tortoise who apparently grew up in a glass tank, and by the many keepers here on this forum that have been keeping hundreds of tortoises in glass tanks for decades.

Last thing: Running loose on the floor is a recipe for disaster. I see this end badly far too often, even though every person who does it has the best of intentions and really believes they have made it safe. It isn't safe. Leave your tortoise in one of his enclosures, and make sure the enclosures are meeting your tortoises space needs.

These were typed up for russians, but much of the same info applies:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one is for hermanni, but again, the same info applies to Greek tortoises:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/