Holy Crap!!!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
You have no idea how I wish I wish I could help you Maggie!
I would have chipped all that ice for you and put down salt.
We are going to get ice over night tonight here in NJ so … I am expecting a fun ride to work at 5am tomorrow…..
I can not imagine how you got through that storm????
I would have been soooo scared!!!!!!
(And the only thing that scares me is death and taxes!)
I do understand your worries though….
If my tort gets cold I flip out and blame the world for killing my baby!!
Yes guys, torts don’t have to eat everyday
But they DO need to be warm to the touch in order to survive.. (except the ones that hibernate)….
3 days at 21 degrees is very …..
Well ….. Maggie knows..🤕

Stay strong
Be safe
And if I were you I’d wrangle them damn bitches into the house for just the next couple of days. Then no one would get hurt and you could use body heat to stay warm.
…..🤔🤔

Alright you psychos ….
You could also use blankets or Tubby’s or well…. Just a warm house with the MAMA
(Maggie) in it!! 😊

We need updates MAGGIEEEEEE!!!! 🙏♥️🌹❤️😓🍷

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope everyone is ok. Coldest I have ever been was 8 degrees F, visiting in Toronto in winter long ago. I loved it, because I was on holiday...no obligations!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hope everyone is ok. Coldest I have ever been was 8 degrees F, visiting in Toronto in winter long ago. I loved it, because I was on holiday...no obligations!
I'm not gonna complain I guess. I see those ppl going to the Iowa caucus or those poor Steeler/Bill's fans that paid good money to freeze to death, and you know what? Life is good! lol Screenshot_20240115_183958_Weather.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, my update is this...the green house holding my exotic plants and cactus froze, the material froze contracting and popping the f'ing zipper on both sides and the blacklight bulb, CHE and small heater failed... the heater didn't go on at all I guess...I lost Hoya, cactus, a giant spider plant and other plants... I invest emotion in my houseplants...so there ya go...and in the tort shed it's 73 degrees...it's 27 degrees now and expecting rain tonight and freezing rain tonight and tomorrow, with the worst tomorrow night. So I have slid my way to the shed and all have eaten and are comfortably snoozing. Mary is in her sleeping box happy. I'm wondering if I should put another heater in the shed. I've put towels and rugs in front of the doggie doors stopping and air leaks...there's 3 basking lights 2 che's and a black light bulb none of which seem to get hot..the torts stay mostly under the che's...this just sucks...for me and my tortoises

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I like reading survival stories of people who leave their homes and go on what turns out to be a terrifying trip...but this kind of weather is a "I survived last winter at home" one! Sheesh. Just a simple error and you can be in real trouble.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Be careful Maggie and be sure to ALWAYS have your phone with you
I'm fighting the d**n minus temps here. All heating elements are on in the tortoise shed and it still can't stay above 70. Luckily they all have their basking areas so they will actually be warmer. I'm leaving everything on 24/7 except shed lights that only give light no heat. This really sucks! And we are stuck with minus temps until Wednesday. With wind chill we are minus 20 and 30's, some places minus 40. Don't remember ever being colder than minus 20's
Hopefully we all in this artic blast get thru with no illnesses or losses🤞
I just read about the situation with the Tesla cars!!! What a disaster!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The chargers stopped working because of the subzero temperatures ... lots of "dead robots" .. people stranded.
There's a guy I know who sells electric Teslas...AND...he takes old muscle cars like mine and makes them electric hot rods. He says for the cars.. just the switching engines is abt $45000. Hmm is it electric engines, motors or just what??? I forget... He wants to race me in an electric Tesla and show me how much he's gonna beat me by!!! I DON'T think so honey. He says they are incredibly fast, the top of the line electric Tesla hits, some over 150 mph, (I think) in a matter of short seconds. And he is a honey too my oh my...The problems he and I talk about are the Tesla is so quiet, I accidently stepped in front of one cuz I can't hear them...not enuf charging stations and sorry Tammy...you and I do have a problem hijacking threads...oh and I top end safely at about 120, it sounds like that Tesla would really badly beat me...lol

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The chargers stopped working because of the subzero temperatures ... lots of "dead robots" .. people stranded.
Yeah I caught a glimpse of it on the news. I just laughed. I wouldn't buy one of those cars if it were the last car on earth. I think they should have went big with the hybrids. I think more people would be willing to have one of those than an all electric.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, my update is this...the green house holding my exotic plants and cactus froze, the material froze contracting and popping the f'ing zipper on both sides and the blacklight bulb, CHE and small heater failed... the heater didn't go on at all I guess...I lost Hoya, cactus, a giant spider plant and other plants... I invest emotion in my houseplants...so there ya go...and in the tort shed it's 73 degrees...it's 27 degrees now and expecting rain tonight and freezing rain tonight and tomorrow, with the worst tomorrow night. So I have slid my way to the shed and all have eaten and are comfortably snoozing. Mary is in her sleeping box happy. I'm wondering if I should put another heater in the shed. I've put towels and rugs in front of the doggie doors stopping and air leaks...there's 3 basking lights 2 che's and a black light bulb none of which seem to get hot..the torts stay mostly under the che's...this just sucks...for me and my tortoises
Sorry about your plants. I didn't realize the freeze would affect the material the greenhous was made of. Where was it? On the porch?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Electricity went out last night again. There are 3 tortoises in the tort shed...I don't know just how long it was out...I am afraid those torts got cold. But it's dark and freezing rain has everything encased in thick ice. I'm short on animal food, and people food...some 4 wheel drive vehicles are out but no cars can get out. I'd drive into town as I am a good snow driver...but The Squirrel has too much torque and not enuf traction....Look out Arizona...I want heat and am very tired of this ice. There is so much ice on the back stairs it's damn dangerous to try to go out to the shed. Walking around the house is just as slippery with nothing to hold on to. I use a staff to help me but it is sooooo slippery it makes you slide even if you are hanging on to something...I know other states are just as bad or worse...Jacque for instance...Chicago...Wellington...but in my mind those states are used to the cold and snow...Oregon is not. I have 3 large Rhododendrons, for instance, that are so frozen I can break the leaves. Oregon is not prepared at all...Corvallis has NO snow plows, generally ODOT will spread lava rock in the intersections, but not this time...Yesterday my buddy and I took his 4 wheel drive Toyota truck out just to drive around....we saw 3 trucks in the ditch, and no other moving vehicles. We did donuts in the church parking lot and generally just fooled around...it was fun. yeah, immature but fun...lol

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I just read about the situation with the Tesla cars!!! What a disaster!

Electricity went out last night again. There are 3 tortoises in the tort shed...I don't know just how long it was out...I am afraid those torts got cold. But it's dark and freezing rain has everything encased in thick ice. I'm short on animal food, and people food...some 4 wheel drive vehicles are out but no cars can get out. I'd drive into town as I am a good snow driver...but The Squirrel has too much torque and not enuf traction....Look out Arizona...I want heat and am very tired of this ice. There is so much ice on the back stairs it's damn dangerous to try to go out to the shed. Walking around the house is just as slippery with nothing to hold on to. I use a staff to help me but it is sooooo slippery it makes you slide even if you are hanging on to something...I know other states are just as bad or worse...Jacque for instance...Chicago...Wellington...but in my mind those states are used to the cold and snow...Oregon is not. I have 3 large Rhododendrons, for instance, that are so frozen I can break the leaves. Oregon is not prepared at all...Corvallis has NO snow plows, generally ODOT will spread lava rock in the intersections, but not this time...Yesterday my buddy and I took his 4 wheel drive Toyota truck out just to drive around....we saw 3 trucks in the ditch, and no other moving vehicles. We did donuts in the church parking lot and generally just fooled around...it was fun. yeah, immature but fun...lol
You need crampons on your shoes, or shoes with spikes! Hope the tortoises will be ok.