Holly kinixys!

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
Mick.Ire said:
Sorry but don't mean to sound rude but is she a rescue tort? Never seen a shell like that on a hinge.

She is not a rescue. I am facilitating her transfer to a breeding situation. A little pyramiding, no MBD. My guess is that she was imported decades ago with all the belliana.

Largest kinixys I have ever seen of any species.

Ah that's great she is finding the right home now, amazing rare specimen. Looks like she had a rough couple of years. Lets hope she breeds. :)

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
I have a huge female nogueyi, she's really different to the rest. Really black, not sure if she's as big as this Zombensis, must measure her tomorrow.
I think maybe in this case previous bad husbandry might be the cause of her size and condition. Prob down to her diet, maybe to much protein.

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I've got a black nougeiy female too. You can see if it is nougeiy on the front claws. Nougeiy has only 4 claws and zombensis or belliana belliana have got 5

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
No my group are all 100% Nogueyi. :) we've hatched babies from this female. Would you mind posting a pic of your black female? Start a new thread if you like so as to not piggy back this one.
Cheers Mick.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384689334.231867.jpg

So here she is :). Are your hatchlings black too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
yeah she's very dark alright, our girl is slightly different, I suppose black was the wrong word, dark would be better although when she's not wet she appears totally black. and a good big bigger. The hatchlings are all brown like normal babies but it'll be interesting to see how they develop.

she's the dark one to the right, now the bottom chestnut coloured one is a big female for a nogueyi so the dark one must be 9-10 inches. We have her over 20 years. Tough as nails.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Ok. Yes my female is dark with some yellow points or "stars":-D
Maybe you need a dark male too for getting really dark hatchlings... But I never saw a nougeiy male which is dark. My female is very dominant to the other ones. I've got 1,2. She is the biggest one of the group to. I have her ca. 2 years now. She hasn't got compilations with my male. He only has copulation with my other female..
I don't know maybe he's scared about her because he weights 560g and she between 850-900g :-D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
juli11 said:
Ok. Yes my female is dark with some yellow points or "stars":-D
Maybe you need a dark male too for getting really dark hatchlings... But I never saw a nougeiy male which is dark. My female is very dominant to the other ones. I've got 1,2. She is the biggest one of the group to. I have her ca. 2 years now. She hasn't got compilations with my male. He only has copulation with my other female..
I don't know maybe he's scared about her because he weights 560g and she between 850-900g :-D

Perhaps her dark color, which isn't the norm, is also a turn off.. just a wild thought as with some other animals that seems to be a true statement.

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Opposite for me, our male will only mate with the big dark one and one other female if he's given the choice of them all. And your right, I've never seen a dark male either. Ours is most definitely wild caught so perhaps she comes from a local they no longer export from.

Ha Jacqui, perhaps he only likes the blondes. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Men and tortoises, you can never be quite certain what they are thinking or going to do. ;) :D

OP, I know we have taken your thread a bit off topic, if you would like me to move our other conversations to another thread, I would be happy to do so. It's your call.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
We can certainly keep the thread intact. "Holly kinixys" easily does apply to the interesting conversation about.

Great shot of the erosa there too! Wonderful animals, my girl is near that size. Waiting on ova now, she is a picky nester, but reliable twice a year. One has to hatch eventually, I'm a decade into them by now...

This zombensis is about 9" SCL, and nearly 8" wide at the hinge. About 6" at her highest point. Her growth would be much smoother had she been housed outdoors in the elements much of the year. She has what I refer to the "indoor plastic looking shell". Nothing plenty of sun, wind, rain, logs, rocks and hopefully an amorous male won't take care of in a decade. :tort:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is a beauty alright.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Yes I still have her. I will take pictures in the afternoon now it's school time :-D but I'm sure that she is nougeiy I have paperwork with the export country and that's Togo also she didn't come alone. I've got here with 1,1 and they're 100% nougeiy.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410458970.962484.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410458984.673334.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410458999.403720.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410459013.115520.jpg

Sorry for the late pics but at the moment I have no time only school and in Saturday we have the biggest reptile show in Hamm so I have to answer much emails. But here they are ;-)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Thank you yes she is big and was my first tropical tortoises :-D no I only will be there to pick some reserved animals up and to sell some animals when everything goes right. Also I have some meeting with Polska and Italy guys.. With which guys do you spoke?