Hole in my RT head !!!

jvillanueva

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County,CA
So my RT has had an abscess for going on three months. We tried just about everything and it was only getting worse. Dr sent us the estimate yesterday on how much the surgery was going to be and it was over $500 . Money that I don't have. Today during his soak I applied some hot compresses and what do you know, the damn thing came off !!! It was so bad that it forced his eye shut and as soon as it fell off his eye opened up perfectly. My question to you guys is do you know if this hole of his will fill back in?? ImageUploadedByTortForum1392870600.385027.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392870619.114619.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392870638.988105.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392870664.557601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Oh my god!!!! I have no words! Poor thing!!! I dont know what you can do to fix that!!

Someone people elaborate on this!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Reptiles are resilient animals . Keep it clean with saline solution . You need to get to the vet for antibiotics . Find a new vet because five hundred to lance a abscess is way to much .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Hole in my RT head !!!

mike taylor said:
Reptiles are resilient animals . Keep it clean with saline solution . You need to get to the vet for antibiotics . Find a new vet because five hundred to lance a abscess is way to much .

There's no longer an abscess. Its a HOLE.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats really all you can do . But really start looking for a new reptilian vet . It sounds like that one is trying to get you to pay for his Med school .

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
He meant 'but'. Not butt.

I have the mind of a 5 th grader. Shhhhhhh

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another crisis averted! You did good. Don't worry about that hole. It will heal and fill in eventually. You just have to keep it clean and don't let flies lay eggs on it. That's not the usual spot where abscesses happen, so I'm wondering why? Did you happen to pull the dried gunk apart and inspect inside?

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Yvonne G- this is the second abscess he has gotten within 3 months. The first was an ear abscess and it fell off just like this one, it was nowhere as big as this one. I'm not sure why he keeps getting them hopefully he has had his share with them!! =( I didn't have the stomach to open that big nasty thing, all of this was enough for me haha

jvillanueva

Orange County,CA
Here's a little update on Glenn, his head is healing up real well. It's only been two whole days since the abscess came out and I can already see a difference. He has been the most active today then he has been lately. He's ate twice and came out and basked for a while before he went into his hide. His eye that the abscess was pushing on is doing great as well, it nice and opened but still a bit puffy, that's a given. I will keep you guys up to date. Here are some pictures from today. I just changed is substrate so it's fresh and all over the place. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393028366.195435.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393028407.228572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Oh wow! He does look better!!! So glad to hear it (and see it!)

Indiana
At first, I was like OH GOD WHY D:

And then I saw the pictures where he is healed up a bit, and THANK GOODNESS.
You are doing a fantastic job! Keep at it! :D

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Good to hear your main man is doing great! We'll keep rooting for him! =)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
He looks a lot better now!! U are doing a great job! What are u doing to help it heal so fast ?