Hibiscus flowers and prickly pear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
So hibiscus flowers, where do you guys get them. I see so many things that people feed their torts but I have no clue how to order them or what stores may cary then in their organic section
Another one of those questions is the prickly pear(or the flowers on the paddle cactus)are we able to feed that to torts especially sulcatas where do you even find them are do you all have one growing. (I am in the midst of finding one for my torts so I can plant it.
Lastly would be dandelion, given the fact that winter is approaching is there a place you guys buy from or do you grow it/pick it during the season.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
A lot of people grow their own foods like the hibiscus and prickly pear

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm old and been doing this for a long time, I have learned to grow a lot in small spaces and weeds in the lawn so they don't look out of place, there are different types of dandelions that grow at different times of the year, the same goes for the hibiscus, and rose a sharon, I have a wild hibiscus that doesn't start blooming until very late in the summer and blooms until the frost kills them back, There are strawberry plants that stay green with new growth all winter, no strawberries during winter but plenty of leaves to feed.The opuntia that I grow have different rates of growth and textures at different times of year, some shrivel up so much when it gets cold they are no good for winter feed but others stay nice and plump, and can be fed during winter, To get new growth from cactus during winter I bring some plants inside after going dormant for winter and they will sprout new tender growth, a little spindly but good for the young torts. I'm not sure where you live but try to grow what grows best in your area naturally, I am just southeast of Wash DC in Virginia and we can have some nasty weather during winter and I can usually find something to feed all year from the yard, not always as much as I would like but a little is better than none.I can send you some opuntia if you want,for the cost of shipping, Depending on where you live if they will grow now or have to wait until next spring to get new growth.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
I just found organic red and 'regular' dandelion greens at a store called 'Jimbo's' in my area. The greens are from 'Be Wise Ranch', an organic family farm a few cities over from me. Jimbo's is akin to a Whole Foods market; if there's one of those near you maybe try them?
Also, living in San Diego, there are markets all over the place that specialize in Mexican products and that sell nopales and the 'prickly pear' fruit, so I just stop by one of those for the opuntia pads.
Are there any 'Mexican markets' in your area? I bet they'd sell nopales there . . .
Many of the members here grow there own, and there are places where you can order the seeds & cactus pads from to grow your own.

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where do you live? It would help so we can better tell you what would grow good there. Now, there are cactus that should survive even my winters, I live in Chicago. Roses and rose a Sharon I believe will grow any place also. I just purchased cold hardy hibiscus thus past summer, so where ever your at you should be able to grow those also. However, being so late it the season, you will probably have to wait for some of this stuff. Buy some clover and dandelion seeds and grow in some tubs inside your torts enclosure. If you have coir as substrate, you can grow right in that.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
I live in Sacramento,ca the winters here can drop down to the low of 22 but usually stay around 33 or so. The high of 110 in the summer but it usually stays about 100. I'm not sure what kind of markets they have here. I know we have whole foods but I have never been there. I believe I have seen both optunia and dandelion leaves a raleys but I a wonder if the optunia can grow after they have chilled it for so long and despined it. I am not that great with cacti so I am unsure as to what ones grow the fruit

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Hibiscus - OSH sells potted hibiscus -

Prickly pear - Also got my prickly pear from OSH. They also grow wild all over California.
The pads and fruit are sold at Mexican grocery stores.

Dandelion - Sold at Ralphs and Whole Foods, and also grow wild all over the place.

ajpena

5 Year Member
Hi. I'm in TX and have huge prickly pear growing in my front yard (several varieties). Once in a while I have to cut it back, but I have to make sure I don't leave any part on the ground cause it'll root and start a new plant. If you buy some from the market even if it's been in a fridge, it'll probably grow. Just lay it in a pot. Any part of the pad touching soil will start to root in no time.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Coastal sells spineless variegated cactus pads.

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Walmart sells hibiscus and I found prickly pear cactus pads cheap on ebay. Leonardo RT is not real fond of either though.

Status
Not open for further replies.