hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilou6

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate New York
We are first time owners of a 1 1/2 year old Hermann's. For about 2 weeks now he has been sluggish, sleeping alot and uninterested in food. Could he be sick, wanting to hibernate. I don't know what to do and am at a loss. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your Hermann's tortoise will not instinctively begin brumation (hibernation) if the temperatures and the daytime light duration and intensity is at normal activity levels. What are the daytime temperatures, basking temperature and night time temperature in the enclosure? What is the ambient humidity level? What type of lighting is being used and how long are they on during the day? What time do they come on and what time do they go off?

devilou6

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
GBtortoises said:
Your Hermann's tortoise will not instinctively begin brumation (hibernation) if the temperatures and the daytime light duration and intensity is at normal activity levels. What are the daytime temperatures, basking temperature and night time temperature in the enclosure? What is the ambient humidity level? What type of lighting is being used and how long are they on during the day? What time do they come on and what time do they go off?

Thank you for your response. We have a basking light that is on during the day 12 + hours and a red nocturnal that is on at night. The temperature is around 70 - 80 degrees. I am reading information that that is not warm enough, am I right? Also, we just moved him to a larger habitat so quite possibly that is not warming up as well as it should. We checked with the folks at our local pet store and they suggested increasing the temp. and to do so by leaving both lights on. What do you think of that idea? I don't have a humidity gauge in his enclosure but will pick one up. What is the ideal humidy level for a Hermann's? Again, thank you for your help

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Any change in your tortoise's behavior? As soon as the temp dropped here, our two Hermanns immediately began sleeping more/eating less. They have the lights and ceramic heat elements, but they just go to their hide and sleep (and they didn't use the hide at all when the house was warmer).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The daytime lights should be on 14-16 hours a day with 15 hours being ideal. A 12 hour day gives the tortoise the belief that it is autumn. Along with a basking light that will produce a temperature under of around 90-100 degrees there should be an additional UV light to light the entire enclosure for the same 14-16 hours a day. There should be no need for night time heat as long as the temperature in the enclosure does not drop below 55 degrees. Ideally, northern Testudo species should have a day to night temperature differential of 15-20 degrees for normal activity. Ideal ambient humidity should be in the 50-70% range, higher is fine. Lower can be difficult for the tortoise to remain well hydrated. As well as ambient air humdity the substrate should be kept slightly moist (not wet) as well as the tortoise having constant, easy access to drinking water.

devilou6 said:
GBtortoises said:

Thank you for your response. We have a basking light that is on during the day 12 + hours and a red nocturnal that is on at night. The temperature is around 70 - 80 degrees. I am reading information that that is not warm enough, am I right? Also, we just moved him to a larger habitat so quite possibly that is not warming up as well as it should. We checked with the folks at our local pet store and they suggested increasing the temp. and to do so by leaving both lights on. What do you think of that idea? I don't have a humidity gauge in his enclosure but will pick one up. What is the ideal humidy level for a Hermann's? Again, thank you for your help

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
In addition to GB's always excellent advice, you need to give your tortoise a good 20+ minute soak at least a couple times a week, and more often has no downside...hydration in youngsters is VERY important, so it's hard to overdo it!

Status
Not open for further replies.