Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hi everyone,

Other than red foots and stars, can anyone recommend a relatively smaller common tortoise (under max of 12") that does not hibernate? By common, I mean readily available at a decent cost.

I live in a relatively small apartment, so having another separate refrigerator for hibernation is out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure about the Hermanns, but some of the Greeks don't hibernate. And just because a tortoise hibernates in the wild, doesn't mean it has to hibernate in captivity. Hibernation is just a means for the tortoise to stay alive during a long period of cold and sunless weather. If you keep the tortoise warm and make long days (via the lights), he can stay awake all winter. Russian comes to mind here.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
All of the Hermann's subspecies, Ibera Greek & Russian tortoises stay small. For the most part they are all under 9" as adults, some even smaller. In general they are all somewhat adaptable to the different climates and environments found throughout most of the U.S. as long as their basic environmental needs are provided for.
They do all hibernate in wild, but as Yvonne said, it is not necessary that you do hibernate them. Any of the above mentioned species can be kept awake year round with the correct lighting and temperatures.

Of the above listed tortoises Russians and Eastern Hermann's are both commonly available from hatchling size all the way up to full grown adults at reasonable prices. The cost of the animal is a bargin in the long run. The cost of housing, lighting, heating (if needed), substrate, food and other incidentals over time will far outweigh what you've paid for the animal. So shopping for a "bargin" animal should not be as much a concern as getting a healthy animal from a reputable source.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I dont hibernate my hermann tortoise becuase I am scared to death of him not waking up!

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.