hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

missgemma

5 Year Member
quick bit of info
im gemma and my tortoise is 3 year old trevey.
he went into hibernation his self so i did the whole wind down with him and now he in in my garage in the correct boxes etc.
The problem is after 2 weeks in the garage im not sure hes hibernating right. all temps are ok but he seams to still be moving.
i just weighed him and all is ok, but even though his eyes were fermly shut he still moved is legs.
is this right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
In calif my russians are still active, they are making an awful racket, If this weather keeps up I may take them outside so they can at least get some sun, but no food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real sure, but I think there's something wrong with Trevey's hibernation. If I were to go and pick up a heavily sleeping winter tortoise, he WILL open his eyes, even though he can't move good. If Trevey's eyes are firmly shut, but the legs are moving, sound like you need to soak him and see if he's ok.

Yvonne

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"all temps are ok but he seams to still be moving."
What are the temperatures during the daytime, nighttime and are they consistent?
A garage or any other building exposed to daytime sunlight, even in cold weather can heat up 10-15 degrees or even more than the nighttime temperatures.
What type of hibernation medium is your tortoise being kept in?
A tortoise that is truly in hibernation will react to being touched with movement but it would be a very slow reaction.
If his reaction to being touched is quick, as if he is awake, he probably is awake! If that is the case, you may have a problem and the tortoise may have to be brought back to active temperature, definitely be hydrated and determine what the problem might be. If there is any issues the tortoise definitely should not be put back into hibernation this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.