Hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
Worried about hibernation

I've discovered that my tort won't eat or drink because he is unsettled and not used to a new environment
Will he hibernate if he's not eating?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: Worried about hibernation

I would not plan for brumation since you have had him less than a year...and during this first year you can allow him to settle into his enclosure and assure he begins to eat and hydrate so that he will be ready for a rest next year....:D

Give him time, a tort in a new environment will take some time...as advised, keep food and water available and he will take to it when he feels settled...

Ilovetorts123

5 Year Member
I have had him 2 weeks and don't plan to hibernate him but being away for a day and coming back to no water but food bowl as left, could he be trying to hibernate himself?
Also he hasn't moved from the same place!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't notice a change in a tortoise that is slowing down for brumation in just a day or two. I don't think your trip has caused any kind of a slow down for the tortoise. Since you've had him such a short time, you are going to have to work very hard to trick him into thinking it is still the middle of summer. Lights on at 6 or 7a, and not turned off until 7 or 8p. Nice warm habitat, plenty of food. Keep diggin him out and put him in front of the food. Soak him in warm water daily for about 15 minutes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he isn't eating and not moving much now, I might want to make sure his temps are correct. They may be either to hot or too cold. Be sure he has a basking spot of 95+ as they do need to warm up past 85 to properly digest their food.

Status
Not open for further replies.