Hi there!

Fitzgeae

Hi! My name is Ashley and I'm coming to you from South Carolina! I joined the forum to really help educate myself on all thing tortoise before I jumped into owning one. Any apologies if I ask too many questions or anything!

Tortoises and turtles have always been my favorite animals I think they are absolutely amazing!!!

I'm currently trying to decide between either a marginated tortoise or a yellow foot! any advice on either breed would be greatly appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I don't know about the two species you are looking at but others that so will help you. You will find a lot of your questions have already been answered if you do some searching on the forum, otherwise the members will do their best to answer what you can't the answers to.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Ashley, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum.
Have a look at the relevant sections here for some good information on the two species you have mentioned.
It's good you're doing your research before getting your tortoise.
Questions are always welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum,Ashley!

Fitzgeae

I can't really find a lot on yellow foots? Are red foots and yellow foots basically the same just physical differences such as color and shape etc.?

Hello and Welcome:). I don't know about the two species you are looking at but others that so will help you. You will find a lot of your questions have already been answered if you do some searching on the forum, otherwise the members will do their best to answer what you can't the answers to.

Also my interest in Leo's is peaking due to there larger size and I think there shells are pretty neat! But would they do okay in South Carolina? Something I read on here said something about humidity at 50 but humidity here in Columbia SC averages at 70 through the year.

Reading different forums and care sheets and different threads on here I think I am most interested in either Leo's or marginated torts. Marginated torts have always sparked my interest for some reason. Will either do well with indoor incloseurs for the first two years? I do plan do give them outdoor time everyday during those two years.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I can't really find a lot on yellow foots? Are red foots and yellow foots basically the same just physical differences such as color and shape etc.?

Also my interest in Leo's is peaking due to there larger size and I think there shells are pretty neat! But would they do okay in South Carolina? Something I read on here said something about humidity at 50 but humidity here in Columbia SC averages at 70 through the year.

Reading different forums and care sheets and different threads on here I think I am most interested in either Leo's or marginated torts. Marginated torts have always sparked my interest for some reason. Will either do well with indoor incloseurs for the first two years? I do plan do give them outdoor time everyday during those two years.

Welcome! Yellowfoots live in the rainforests of South America while Redfoots live on the outskirts of the forests/grassland. Yellows are more sensitive to temperature, light, and humidity, as in they like warm, high humidity low-light areas. Reds can get on average to about 12-14 inches, while Yellows can get up to 14-20 inches. Reds are also easier to find in the pet trade.

Definitely check out the forum a bit more and see what tortoise is best for you. I know that leopards can get fairly large depending on the type - not sure about the marginated. Good luck with your research!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leopards do great in higher humidity, in fact, to VE raised nice and smooth and healthy, 80% is recommended. Read Toms threads below in my post for leopard care. The Sulcata threads will also apply to the leopards.

Fitzgeae

Welcome! Yellowfoots live in the rainforests of South America while Redfoots live on the outskirts of the forests/grassland. Yellows are more sensitive to temperature, light, and humidity, as in they like warm, high humidity low-light areas. Reds can get on average to about 12-14 inches, while Yellows can get up to 14-20 inches. Reds are also easier to find in the pet trade.

Definitely check out the forum a bit more and see what tortoise is best for you. I know that leopards can get fairly large depending on the type - not sure about the marginated. Good luck with your research!

Ahh thanks so much! I am interested in yellow foot torts maybe I just need to dig more into the forum I keep finding more about reds then yellows :/ I won't be getting one for a few months as I plan to have everything set up before hand and the ones I am looking at all come from different families so I won't do anything until I figure that out! But I really appreciate you're advice!! Thanks so much!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is definitely more info on the Reds than the yellows here. However lately there have been quite a few new threads about yellow foots and ones comparing the two types of tortoises.

Fitzgeae

Leopards do great in higher humidity, in fact, to VE raised nice and smooth and healthy, 80% is recommended. Read Toms threads below in my post for leopard care. The Sulcata threads will also apply to the leopards.
Thanks! I've been running back and forth through the leopard forum as well as the red and yellow foot forum and marginated forum -_- lol maybe I'll take these next few weeks and focus on one a week at a time lol!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Welcome. First is to decide which species you want, then decided if you want a baby or an adult. Once you know what you want you can focus on making proper indoor and outdoor enclosures for them. Have fun looking at all the care sheets.