Hi, new user from the UK

TwoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Bolton,UK
Hi i have just recently registered, I'm from the UK I have two horsfield tortoises. One named Neville roughly 2 years old and one named Timmy roughly 6 months old. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437945447.507733.jpg

Neville :)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437945467.299972.jpg

Timmy :)

I'm looking forward to getting lots of helpful advice on caring for them from this forum

TwoTortoise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Neville and Timmy.
I hope they have separate enclosures as two Russian tortoises together is a recipe for disaster, one will dominate and bully the other leading to stress and possibly physical injury or death.
Also, it's not a good idea to let them wander about on the floor, they will eat all sorts of naughty things and some of these, even fluff bunnies can cause impaction.
Have a look at these threads for some good advice.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
Hope these are of some help and please ask if you have any questions.

TwoTortoise

Bolton,UK
They are constantly watched when walking around I never leave them unattended anywhere and I make sure there is nothing they can eat, including fluff before I put them down :)

Sometimes letting them on the floor is the only option I have (I live in the UK and the weather is terrible at the moment :)

But I'll be even more careful with them now when they are on the floor. I do have laminate floor but Timmy isn't too keen on walking on it

Thanks for everyone's welcomes

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome Lovely torts There are quite a few UK members here.
Adam has posted some good threads which will help you make a happy and safe home for your torts
and there are always plenty of tort keepers around to advise or give us the benefits of their experience.
So read, search and ask as many questions as you need and if you follow all advice you should have 2 very happy and healthy torts for many years to come.

I would start with housing them separately as suggested because although you may think they are playing or being affectionate by following each other around, the dominant one (poss Neville ) is probably very subtly harassing the other and you wouldn't even notice it until its too late. It's just the way torts are, they don't like or need company because to them its competition.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
We understand the temptation to let them out, but we've seen the dangers and disasters that occur. What you can't see is the lack of humidity or proper temps on the floor, or the long term effects on the feet, nails, and legs from walking on improper substrate. Upgrade the habitat instead.

TwoTortoise

Bolton,UK
I let them walk around the house for a couple of hours when weather outside isn't nice, I am in the process of planning a new home for them. I separated them immediately due to Timmy having a cut over his eye which old owners never noticed. :)

I have read on numerous different websites.. Including tortoisetrust.org that damp humid conditions lead to breathing difficulties and skin conditions is this right? Because of this I currently have them on dry substrate with a water bowl to bath in. I also soak them twice a day if possible is this right as advised by my vet.. Is this too much?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If they are particularly dry and kept in dry conditions then I guess twice a day is good, but the conditions need changing.
Once a day is usually considered enough for young torts or two or three times a week for older ones.
Damp humid conditions are bad if your temperatures are too low.
For a healthy tortoise you need to increase your humidity AND temperatures.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
welcome from not so sunny Scotland! cant go wrong with advice from these guys on here, every method of husbandry has been tried and tested... follow advice and your torts will be forever grateful:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I let them walk around the house for a couple of hours when weather outside isn't nice, I am in the process of planning a new home for them. I separated them immediately due to Timmy having a cut over his eye which old owners never noticed. :)

I have read on numerous different websites.. Including tortoisetrust.org that damp humid conditions lead to breathing difficulties and skin conditions is this right? Because of this I currently have them on dry substrate with a water bowl to bath in. I also soak them twice a day if possible is this right as advised by my vet.. Is this too much?
Humid doesn't have to mean damp.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
A good thing to remember is

heat + humidity = healthy tort
cold + humidity = sick tort

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If you have a closed chamber like a huge vivarium (you will need 1 for each tort)
They are easier to control humidity by adding water to the substrate.
If you have tables - then partially cover with e.g plexiglass to keep humidity in and use a humid hide.
Have a look at the Enclosures thread to see t people do.

Last edited: