Hi, help identifying 2 turtles!

bjmurph

Location (City and/or State)
california
I was given two hatchling turtles, I was told by my uncle that they are terrapin turtles. Upon my countless hours scowering the internet, I think they are terrapin turtles. Except the fact that terrapin turtles live in an aquatic environment. My uncle does not have any pond or running water source for the turtles. They have been living in a fairly big space in his back yard for around 20 years. So I am rather confused. The babies I have, I've given them access to water but the absolutely hate it. The image I posted was when I first got them, there tank is alot different now. I live in fresno California. I hope someone can help me to identify these 2 guys. Thanks in advanced. Bobbijo

Snapchat-1270802688.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree they look like Box Turtles but need better pics. They need to be off the sand as it can cause impaction. If they are Box they need a high humidity environment and a water source they can get into. Others with more Box knowledge will be one to help further.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A lot of old timers refer to box turtles as terrapins. Their scientific name is Terrapene, so it's easily confused. It would help us help you if we could see better pictures.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome! We will for sure need some closer clearer photos for a good ID.