Hi from Kent, UK

ShayUK

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hi!

I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I live in Maidstone, Kent. I've wanted a tortoise for a long time, but work commitments and raising a family have always got in the way. With my kids all grown and flewn, and a part time local job, I suddenly realised I could actually fulfil my dream. So, I have done lots of research and gained some experience looking after my friends 76 year old Hermann George every year while she is on holiday, sought a reputable breeder and took lots of advice re tortoise table v Vivarium. As you see, we chose the viv (don't all shout at once!)

On Sunday we took the plunge and bought our little friend home. She's a 2 year old Marginated who we've called Bertha, and we love her.

She was quiet for the first couple of days, but boy today she hasn't stopped! She loves dandelion leaves and courgette and is enjoying exploring her vivarium. Here she is on top of the worry eggs I put in with her. I take it they are ok for inside an enclosure? She seems to manage getting up and down without falling and flipping onto her back.

Looking forward to 'meeting' you all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sarah!

Reason Zero said that about the shavings is because pine shavings give off a harmful oil scent. And even if yours aren't pine, shavings still aren't a good choice. Something you can moisten would be a better choice - coco coir, fir bark, etc.

ShayUK

Kent, UK
Welcome to the Forum, Sarah!

Reason Zero said that about the shavings is because pine shavings give off a harmful oil scent. And even if yours aren't pine, shavings still aren't a good choice. Something you can moisten would be a better choice - coco coir, fir bark, etc.

OK, I will bow to your better judgement. We bought 2 large bags from the breeder, it isn't shavings as such, as it is designed for tortoises, however once I'm out, I will source a better alternative. She has been using this since birth and she's 2, so I guess a few weeks longer to deplete stocks won't hurt? Thank you for your advice guys!

*Disclaimer: I know she was hatched and not 'born', but I'm an ex-midwife, so 'birth' rolls off the tongue so much better!!!

My question about the marble worry eggs..... any comments?

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Sarah, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Bertha.:)
Some may see the eggs as a flipping hazard and i'm sure that is a possibility, but if she seems to be coping alright I would not panic too much i don't think, just make sure they are not directly under the heat source, so that if she does flip she will not get roasted.
I would replace the substrate as quickly as possible. It is too dry and we cannot be sure what slow, cumulative, internal damage may be being done by the fumes.
Coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch are better options.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! What a beautiful tortoise!

I suggest that tossing a couple of bags of shavings is a pretty cheap way to ensure the health of your new baby.