Hi From The UK

Stevo762002

I live in South East England (Kent) and have just brought our 2 year old Spur Thighed Tortoise Fred (See Photo Below) home. Look forward to reading and posting in the forum.

Attachments

• _DSC0141.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 30

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Have you read the TFO care guides for Greeks?

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some vets and breeders too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Care of young Testudo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

If you would like us to check Fred's home over, please post pictures of the enclosure and lighting and we will be happy to do so :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Awesome I live in Dover. Not read them but I'll check them out.
Practically French then ;)

I was born on the Romney Marsh, so I can't talk :D

For those not familiar with the UK, the port of Dover is only 20 miles from Calais in France. It's actually further to where I live on the opposite side of the county.

Stevo762002

Enclosure is as follows. Flat pack tortoise table (largest one they had) Habistat Tortoise Substrate consisting of Sterilized loam and sand mix. Food and water dishes and a calcium block. The lamp is a Komodo Deep Reflector Dome with a Solar Glo 125W UVA/B an Heat bulb.

We're on the look out for some more Items to put in the enclosure and will be trying different Substrates as most of the info I've read recommends certain types then Other sources say the same types are not good. Either everyone has different opinions or know one really knows lol.

Will be happy to read any recommendations.

Attachments

• _DSC0143.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 18

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

It looks like you have received outdated care information

That enclosure is too dry. These torts need warm humidity to be healthy and grow smoothly. These are a grassland species, not arid desert animals.

Please read those links I gave you and they should explain.

Those bowls you have aren't suitable for tortoises. They're hard for them to use and also a tipping hazard.

A terracotta plant saucer makes a safe water dish and a piece of flat rock or slate, or even the back of a wall tile, makes a good food plate that will help to abrade your tort's beak while he eats and keep it in shape.

Stevo762002

Yes it would appear so. The bowls aren't as deep as they look. I looked at a plant saucer but it tipped over with far less pressure as the one I bought. I read in several sources that they didn't like grass of any kind. I will find out who posted that and deal with them appropriately ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes it would appear so. The bowls aren't as deep as they look. I looked at a plant saucer but it tipped over with far less pressure as the one I bought. I read in several sources that they didn't like grass of any kind. I will find out who posted that and deal with them appropriately ;)
The trick with a plant saucer is to push it into the substrate so it is level with the surface. Then it doesn't tip.

They are not grass eaters as such, but they live in grassy areas where broadleaf weeds grow.

I can assure you that my Greek's poop shows plenty of grass when he grazes our lawn in the summer months. It gets eaten along with the clover and other weeds.

Stevo762002

The trick with a plant saucer is to push it into the substrate so it is level with the surface. Then it doesn't tip.

They are not grass eaters as such, but they live in grassy areas where broadleaf weeds grow.

I can assure you that my Greek's poop shows plenty of grass when he grazes our lawn in the summer months. It gets eaten along with the clover and other weeds.
Thank's I'll look into that. I also like the flat rock for putting the food on idea. What would you recommend to up the humidity? btw made a typo in my 1st post. He's actually 3 not 2....Doh!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This is an example of one of the many sources I read while doing my research http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Turtles-Tortoises/Greek-Tortoise/
We know Chris. He posts here as HermanniChris.

Knowing that your tort is older than a baby, his TFO care sheet is good for you to go by.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

The only thing I disagree with him on is substrate. He has a sand mix in there, but sand sticks to food and gets eaten accidentally and then impacts in the gut. Coco coir or fine grade orchid bark are better in my opinion.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome. I'm also in UK - South Wales.
You'll soon get things right with all the good advice JoesMum gave you.
Check everything here before spending your hard earned cash in a pet shop as they sell for profit even if it's not safe or suitable so members could save you some cash.

Stevo762002

After spending all day at work worrying about Fred because he didn't eat or drink much yesterday I came home and saw he'd eaten all the food I put out this morning and He's been drinking :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
After spending all day at work worrying about Fred because he didn't eat or drink much yesterday I came home and saw he'd eaten all the food I put out this morning and He's been drinking :)
Excellent. They can be very shy to start. Leaving them alone to get on with things until they get used to you is a good move. :)

Naidene23

Hi my name is Naidene I'm from the UK, Scotland and I am a new tortoise mummy. I have a little Horsefield Tortoise called Tito :tort:

Would be very helpful & appreciated if anyone can visit my forum to help me out with my question, thanks xo IMG_0515.JPG