Hi everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejomby

5 Year Member
I'm from Texas. I'm not yet an owner, but me and my kids are looking into getting a Russian Tortoise. We're still at the research stage right. So I'm just here absorbing as much information as I can.

My next step is probably build a tortoise table. And after that's all set, then we'll get the actual tortoise, probably from a place like Petco or Petsmart.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Welcome to the forum!!! I love Russian tortoises! My favorite species, by far!

I just heard that the Petco near me is having a 50% off sale on all reptiles during the weekend of June 15/16. I'm not sure if this will be a nationwide thing or not, but if it is and if you decide to get a Russian from Petco, you may want to hold off until then and save some money. ;) Just be careful. I bought my Russian from Petco and he had parasites and shell problems that cost a couple hundred dollars in vet bills to repair. This seems to be common among petstore Russians as they are wild-caught animals and housed in less than satifactory conditions while they are being transported.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Ejomby!

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Welcome aboard! Keep us updated when you get your tort! Also it is fun to watch as people build their own tables :)

ejomby

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. It's going to be a summer project. I'm thinking about going to the goodwill and getting a cheap desk or a table and adding some wood around it. If I end up doing that, I'll see if I can post pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ejomby said:
Thanks everyone. It's going to be a summer project. I'm thinking about going to the goodwill and getting a cheap desk or a table and adding some wood around it. If I end up doing that, I'll see if I can post pictures.

That's a great idea, goodwill, I like it. Keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or a book case. They're pretty cheap used. You take out the shelves, lay it on its back (might need to reinforce the back), line it with plastic, and Bob's your uncle!! (No I'm not from the UK, I just play one on TV)

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Welcome, and I recomend buying from a breeder instead of petsmart or petco because you have no idea what they have because they are wild caught or how they were transported to the store and in what conditions. Some breeders can get you a captive bred tortoise for the same price as a petsmart one. But if you shop online you have to know what breeders are good and bad.

But russians are a good choice my good friend wants one

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Btw, if you have a dog, or plan on getting a dog, you need to read the thread written by Tom. It's below my name. It's a must read. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.