Hey meat eaters and snake fans, what say you?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I raise animals to eat. They are all part of my family, even my two chickens.
In the past, I've had ducks, rabbits, chickens, pig, many more animals, all part of my family of pets, not food.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It seems like the real benefit is that most people would be less likely to want to 'save the snakes' and raise concerns about how they're housed/raised.
They’re sedentary by nature and coexist happily with other snakes, displaying “few of the complex animal welfare issues commonly seen in caged birds and mammals,” the researchers said.

I think the 'efficiency' is also skewed by it's reliance on 'waste' products from other meat production. Once the 'cost' of feeding the source of the 'waste' meat is taken into account, I think it's unlikely that the total 'cost' or feed conversion would be better than an insect source of protein that is fed the waste products from crops.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It doesn't make any sense to raise a meat eater for food. If it takes a 1000 pounds of rodents and birds to raise a snake to 100 pounds, just as an example, why not just eat the 1000 pounds of rodents and birds that were fed to the snake? Raising herbivores for food makes sense because they just go graze for free on their food that grows all on its own. Alternatively, they ae fed food that is grown or purchased relatively cheaply.

Even if using wild caught prey for the snakes, someone has to go catch it, and what about the role of those prey items in the wild? What about disease or parasites from wild caught prey?

Just the cost of heating them would be more than the meat could be sold for, unless the whole operation is taking place somewhere warm and tropical, but then you'd have to add shipping and handling costs to the price of the meat.

The only way something like this works is if we are removing wild grown snakes from and area where they have gone feral, like the pythons in the everglades. In a captive situation, it would cost more to feed and raise the snake than what you could sell the meat for. I've tried breeding my own rats as a food source for my own animals. Its just not worth it. The cost of feeding and housing the rats is more expensive than just buying them wholesale already frozen, and the amount of labor needed to raise and maintain them is extensive.

It would make much more sense to sell the newly hatched babies of these snakes as pets around the world, than to feed and raise those babies for several years and then try to sell the meat at a profit. Pound for pound, live babies as pets sell for much more than meat. I don't know if the article was meat as some sort of a joke, but the concept doesn't make sense financially.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It doesn't make any sense to raise a meat eater for food. If it takes a 1000 pounds of rodents and birds to raise a snake to 100 pounds, just as an example, why not just eat the 1000 pounds of rodents and birds that were fed to the snake? Raising herbivores for food makes sense because they just go graze for free on their food that grows all on its own. Alternatively, they ae fed food that is grown or purchased relatively cheaply.

Even if using wild caught prey for the snakes, someone has to go catch it, and what about the role of those prey items in the wild? What about disease or parasites from wild caught prey?

Just the cost of heating them would be more than the meat could be sold for, unless the whole operation is taking place somewhere warm and tropical, but then you'd have to add shipping and handling costs to the price of the meat.

The only way something like this works is if we are removing wild grown snakes from and area where they have gone feral, like the pythons in the everglades. In a captive situation, it would cost more to feed and raise the snake than what you could sell the meat for. I've tried breeding my own rats as a food source for my own animals. Its just not worth it. The cost of feeding and housing the rats is more expensive than just buying them wholesale already frozen, and the amount of labor needed to raise and maintain them is extensive.

It would make much more sense to sell the newly hatched babies of these snakes as pets around the world, than to feed and raise those babies for several years and then try to sell the meat at a profit. Pound for pound, live babies as pets sell for much more than meat. I don't know if the article was meat as some sort of a joke, but the concept doesn't make sense financially.
I don’t think it was posted as a joke, probably a little bit of shock value to get eyeballs as the Internet is want to do, but clearly some people are trying it…

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well
I don’t think it was posted as a joke, probably a little bit of shock value to get eyeballs as the Internet is want to do, but clearly some people are trying it…
Hopefully they'll see their folly sooner than later. You couldn't pay me enough money to eat a reptile in the first place. I'll become a vegetarian first 😘Then who in the world hasn't heard about snakes escaping into areas that have no natural predators. The best laid plans of mice and men. Florida for example.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Alligator meat is a big business today and has been for decades. I visited a gator farm in the 80s that were farming them as a food source. It had very large green house's just like a plant nursery. The young gators were separated by size and being raised off the ground with constantly changing water. Gators have white and dark meat just like chicken's. And like pigs not much goes to waste. With pigs everything is used but the squeel. It must be a money maker because you can find gator meat for sale with a quick search.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My deepest thoughts on this subject is this: I learned how to tan leather the natural way when I was younger. I defleshed many different types of animals and alligator was one of them even though I really didn't believe in it at the time or ever. I've seen their so called gardens and there's no way to keep an alligator healthy in that type of setting. So really you're eating a really unhealthy reptile 🤢 that's even worse than what we're buying from the grocery store and paying more for it 🤢yuk yuk yuk

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alligator meat is a big business today and has been for decades. I visited a gator farm in the 80s that were farming them as a food source. It had very large green house's just like a plant nursery. The young gators were separated by size and being raised off the ground with constantly changing water. Gators have white and dark meat just like chicken's. And like pigs not much goes to waste. With pigs everything is used but the squeel. It must be a money maker because you can find gator meat for sale with a quick search.
You make a good point here Len. I forgot about alligator meat. I've had it before and it was expensive. The cost must be astronomical now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I say…..

EEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!! 😣😣😣😣

EAT a snake????
Nooo waaaay!!!
I’d rather eat ….FROSTED FLAKES!!!!!
I'd eat a snake. And what's wrong with Frosted Flakes? I grew up eating those. Since I am a built-time National Champion, Frosted Flakes are literally the breakfast of champions. I like sliced bananas in them too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My deepest thoughts on this subject is this: I learned how to tan leather the natural way when I was younger. I defleshed many different types of animals and alligator was one of them even though I really didn't believe in it at the time or ever. I've seen their so called gardens and there's no way to keep an alligator healthy in that type of setting. So really you're eating a really unhealthy reptile 🤢 that's even worse than what we're buying from the grocery store and paying more for it 🤢yuk yuk yuk
What makes you say this? I toured an alligator farming facility in Louisiana and those animals were all healthy and well cared for. They grew them to four feet in 12 months. An unhealthy animal wouldn't have a growth rate like that. Did you see a facility that wasn't working well somewhere?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hahaha…
Sorry Tom..
Nothing at all against Frosted Flakes, I just couldn’t think of anything else that was meatless..
I like the sugary/ diabetic crippling flakes myself.
Eats em right out eh box I does! 🤪
(Said like a character from Oliver)…

Sincerest apologies gov’na.

Tee hee hee…

NOOOOWWWWW…….
Tell us about your champion days on another thread please!!!!!! 🧐🧐🧐 😃

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Nothing at all against Frosted Flakes, I just couldn’t think of anything else that was meatless..

lol this makes me laugh. I host dinner for a group every other Saturday, last night was the first warm one since winter started so we had a big BBQ with tons of food and we never miss it…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We have a big problem here in Jamaica now, with people demanding and others supplying endangered crocodile meat.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What makes you say this? I toured an alligator farming facility in Louisiana and those animals were all healthy and well cared for. They grew them to four feet in 12 months. An unhealthy animal wouldn't have a growth rate like that. Did you see a facility that wasn't working well somewhere?
No I guess I'm prejudiced because I saw a lot of them in the wild and they look different. The facility that I did them for was decent and in Florida. Another good area to farm alligators. Plus I thought one I saw at the Columbus zoo was a cement statue it was so dull and not well defined. I don't know how else to describe the difference between wild and captive. I'm not sure that fast growing is proof of how healthy an animal like that is though. And like you said it costs a lot to get them there sooo. Is it really worth it. I think maybe the states decided to go ahead and let people farm them to stop poaching. I can always be wrong but it is a good discussion. 😊