Hermmans tortoise home

themacfile

Hi, i am soon to get a baby Hermann's tortoise and i am quite confused by the fact of where they would live, i live in east England where there a lot of birds so i couldn't leave them outside, would i need a tortoise table and just let them wonder around my room and put them in at night

Any questions further to ask will be answered

Thanks,

Tobes

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't let him wander around your room. Set him up in a tort table and that's where he'll be and live. NOT on your floor. Can you make an outside pen so he can get some sun when there is some....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Tobes,
There are some great care sheets for each type of tort under Species Specific so I am sure that will answer a lot of your question re housing, food heat uvb etc.. I am in UK too and not that experienced at keeping tortoises but the people here are and really know what they are talking about, so if you follow all advice offered - even if not always what you want to hear - your tort should be happy and healthy. Wandering around your room would not be safe though. So read the care sheets do searches and ask as many questions as necessary - you'll get lots of help to start you off.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
You can place them outside, weather permitting, so long as your enclosure is secure. As Lyn said, consult the care sheet for Hermanns. Also consult the enclosure section for ideas. There are literally hundreds of ways you can go about securing an outdoor enclosure. My baby enclosures are constructed of cinder blocks covered by screen tops that I constructed from cut chicken wire stapled to a frame. I simply lay these atop the enclosures, but depending upon how handy you are, you can put these screen tops on a hinge. You have a lot to learn, Tobes. Please don't hesitate to ask questions, and know that nothing is impossible when it comes to housing these tortoises. It's all about your ingenuity.

T.G.

Smartie123

I have a rabbit run for donny, it's enclosed with chicken on the top to protect him from birds and has an enclosed section for him to hide in if he wants. I found it works well as I can move it with the sun if need be.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My leopard !lived in all winter but when the ground temps are high enough in the UK now he spends time outside in a safe pen but I still keep an eye on him. I will still bring him in at night though because I don't have a heated outside box and my garden isn't secure enough yet - he couldn't get out but any naughty torty robbers may get in! He has had a good 4 hours out today until the temps started dropping.

Smartie123

Where about's in the UK are you? I'm on the south coast and thought it was still a bit cold but if your tort is finding it ok maybe I'll try getting Donny out

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, my last post was written about 2 weeks ago when we were having an unusually warm spell in Wales and ground temps were 75+. My garden can be a sun trap.

Lola hasn't been out for a couple of weeks because the temps dropped again and it's been wet and windy. Funnily enough I was just out checking the ground temps again as it's a bit warmer today but there is a chilly breeze and the grass area is -60 and can only get 70+ on the concrete areas. So I was just wondering myself if it was warm enough to let him have a very short spell outside to graze as don't want him getting too cold.

Do you have a temp gun? - they are great for checking ground temps.