Here are my 2 NEW lil turtles !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

piku2008

5 Year Member
They look soooo calm today !!!!

But always try to get out of the red tray !!!

Also help me out as if they are water or grass turtle as they likes to eat food in water but rest of the time they try to escape .......

So please help me out here to clam them down ..... also if you can tell me as how to build them a nice home for them ......

;)

Attachments

• DSC_0767.JPG
    DSC_0767.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 54

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Those are RES hatchlings. Your going to need a minimum of 100gal tank or pond for those guys. You could get away with a 55 gallon for about a year. Where did you find them? A filter and UVB as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are water turtles. They need an aquarium with UVB lighting, a basking light and basking platform, a filter and a heater. That red box is probably too slippery for them. Have you researched their care at all? You need to do so ASAP

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Momof4 said:
Those are RES hatchlings. Your going to need a minimum of 100gal tank or pond for those guys. You could get away with a 55 gallon for about a year. Where did you find them? A filter and UVB as well.

I work at a petstore and that line always works wonders on people that come in with wild caught RES hatchlings.. "you do realize that thing is going to get HUGE right?" "here's the tank he needs... oh and here is the filter, don't forget your $50 UV light setup, and this one doesn't even provide the basking that he needs, you will need THIS for that *throw a 20 dollar light fixture in the cart next to the growing pile of stuff*"... those people are usually hurrying out of the store as fast as can be to go let the baby go where they found it :p RES... easy to catch, but not so easy to keep :p

At any rate, your babies are water turtles and are going to need some serious care. A lot more than we can write up in one post, so your best bet would be to find a nice care sheet. I don't do aquatic turtles so I can't direct you towards a good one but I'm sure someone on this forum can. Good luck with your little ones, they are very cute! :D

piku2008

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for quick response .......

I have a huge fish tank here but with light setup inbuilt but the problem is we don't have anything called basking here as they are not available here in any shop ..... where they can come out of water ..... now i can put them in tank right now i hope they will like it !!!! but as they poops tooo much I mean much more then fishes sooooo it wil make the water dirty so i will buy a new tank as they are small enough so i will setup some med tank & will post pics soon ..........

Also just wanna ask does this turtle likes to live on land or they just comes out of water for some time & go back to water !!!!!

So if anyone can give me a link as what is the proper way to setup a turtle shelter specially for the water one's !!!!

Let me know guys !!!!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I would just put them in the biggest fish tank possible right away. They do produce a lot of waste so you are going to need to get a big filter to keep the tank clean, just like with fish only it will need to be much more powerful than a fish tank filter. It's pretty easy to come up with something for them to bask on, a lot of people just use a really big rock or a pile of rocks placed directly below the heat source. You will still need a source of UV light, though. You can get a light bulb that provides both light and UVB, called an MVB bulb, but it sounds like you already have a flourescent strip light for your fish tank, in which case it may just be easier for you to get a different light for heat and get a flourescent strip UVB light.

Red Eared Sliders will spend most of their time underwater but do need a spot to come out of the water and warm themselves up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have a semi-aquatic turtle for 24 years now and counting. She's a reeves turtle, and she'll only get to be about 15 pounds. It is very difficult (unless you build it yourself) to find anything that will allow enough water for proper filtering of the water while allowing the turtles to climb out to bask. I built my own. Here's what I did. I bought a 55 g tank with a Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter. This will filter the water well enough for these guys for now. I bought a storage container large enough to put at one end, with the wide side placed on its side. I cut out an opening that allowed the turtle to go in and out of it. The front view of the tank is the top opening of the container;so, you have a clear view of them. Once that is in place, you can buy one of those curved plastic hide-aways you see at the pet stores. Stand one side at the bottom of the tank, and have the other end placed on top of the plastic container. These little guys can then climb out if the want to bask. On top of the tank where the container is, you'd want to put light and heat lamps. The temps should be around 90-100 degrees. Always turn the lights out when it's time to sleep. The heat lamp may stay on especially if it's cold where you live. Aquatic turtles also like to roam around in direct sunlight at least for an hour a day. Water turtles can develop fungus on their shells if they do not get enough time out of the water and some uv either from the sun or lighting--so make sure they get out to bask. I will send you a picture of my enclosure as soon as possible. You can also get some ideas on how to set up a similar enclosure on the internet. Welcome and best to your little ones. sibi

piku2008 said:
Thanks guys for quick response .......

I have a huge fish tank here but with light setup inbuilt but the problem is we don't have anything called basking here as they are not available here in any shop ..... where they can come out of water ..... now i can put them in tank right now i hope they will like it !!!! but as they poops tooo much I mean much more then fishes sooooo it wil make the water dirty so i will buy a new tank as they are small enough so i will setup some med tank & will post pics soon ..........

Also just wanna ask does this turtle likes to live on land or they just comes out of water for some time & go back to water !!!!!

So if anyone can give me a link as what is the proper way to setup a turtle shelter specially for the water one's !!!!

Let me know guys !!!!

piku2008

5 Year Member
Thanks sibi for clearing out my doubts .....

Would love to see your setup before buying a separate pot for them !!!!

Also I have to search market for basking purpose or i have to make one for them .... I think a pile of stone above water & just below the UV bulb will work fine for them .....

as they are small .......

Waiting for your pics !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.