Henry

froggyraine

Hi guys my 4 half year old has some soft shell on his plastron, which is shell rot .I've taken him to the vets and he's on antibiotics shots and also oral, has anybody had any experience with antibiotics and tortoises does it generally work ?
Jonathan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Why would the vet use antibiotic injections for a fungal infection on the plastron? Or oral meds?

What is the vet injecting your tortoise with? Please tell me its not Baytril...

Either there is much more to the story, or you found a bad vet that doesn't know tortoises.

How does a marginated get shell rot? That is very unusual. Can we see a pic of the affected area?

froggyraine

It's not actually shell rot its soft shell on the plastron from my UV not pushing out enough so I've upgraded to the vapour and yes he's in betril antibiotic to make sure he hasn't got any secondary infections with it going soft if he's not any better by Friday he will be going to Leeds to see the UK's leading tortoise expert

froggyraine

What he has as been described as rubber shell syndrome where the shell goes soft on the plastron like I said its from lack of UV I've changed them regular every 4-5 month but I was using coil ones and finally realised they're rubbish so Im now using a vapour lamp

froggyraine

Hi guys I'm 4-1/2 year old Marginated tortoise has a rubber/softish plastron he's on antibiotics to make sure he doesn't get infection because of this. I've now changed his whole set up including his UV he had a coil now he has a vapour and he's having baths everyday also calcium supplement and vitamin supplement daily I've been told it will re harden especially with him been so young and also the vapour and calcium. Has anyone else ever dealt with this problem? Turns out my coil UV's weren't pushing out enough any help would be appreciated !!!

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
Sorry I haven't experience with this but the change in your setup should help. Those coil type bulbs are very harmful. Do a search and read others experiences with them. I'm sure you'll get replies soon from people in the know. Good luck!!

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Also, if we are worried about infection, it may be a good idea to take out the substrate and replace it with a fresh, clean linen towel or paper towels with no prints/colors on them. Though I would wait on that until someone else confirms that as a good idea since I don't know much about your species of tort. Or ask your vet.

froggyraine

Thanks guys I don't give him specifically d3 but he has a vitamin supplement can you buy it on its own ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Real sunshine helps an awful lot when it comes to soft shell. Is there any chance you can set up an outdoor habitat for this tortoise?

froggyraine

He has got one but with me working a lot I can only put him in when I'm at home I'm scared he will be taken if I'm not in

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
D3 is often mixed with calcium in the supplement form. I use Rep-Cal Phosphorus free Calcium with vitamin D3 Ultrafine Powder. It can be found at petsmart, Petco, pretty much any pet store that services more than just cats and dogs.

And what Yvonne said is true; real sunlight is always best. When you're home after work, could you take him outside for sunbathing? Or you can make/buy a tortoise table with a cover so he can't be taken/escape and put it outside.

froggyraine

So Henry had a soft plastron last Wednesday, since then he's been on antibiotics for secondary infection. I've upgraded his table his lighting is now a vapour and his diet has changed. He's having baths everyday to keep the area clean and also calcium and vitamin supplement daily, It's been an expensive 6 days but so worth it, his shell has massively improved and is hardening back up already. I'd Like to thank everyone on here who made suggestions you've all been superstars And again Thank you
Jonathan - Henry's dad

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So Henry had a soft plastron last Wednesday, since then he's been on antibiotics for secondary infection. I've upgraded his table his lighting is now a vapour and his diet has changed. He's having baths everyday to keep the area clean and also calcium and vitamin supplement daily, It's been an expensive 6 days but so worth it, his shell has massively improved and is hardening back up already. I'd Like to thank everyone on here who made suggestions you've all been superstars And again Thank you
Jonathan - Henry's dad
Thanks for updating us Jonathan.
This is a terrific place for help. I hope Henry continues to go from strength to strength.

froggyraine

Henry is a lot more alert today moving and eating I'm so happy the he's finished his Baytril today no more lethargic tort YESSSSS!!