HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylaa1202

5 Year Member
My Greek tortoise is very lazy and not right :( he has no problem eating or going to the bathroom, but he is just sleeping and not roaming around his tank anymore. :( help please!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. Can you tell us more about the set up he is living in. Temps, lighting, substrate. Do you soak him and how often? What are you feeding him. How long have you had him and how old is he. We can better help you if we know these things.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is a baby then there is nothing to worry about. They tend to sleep and hide a lot.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and may we see a picture of your tort? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words..:D

kaylaa1202

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and WELCOME:D. Can you tell us more about the set up he is living in. Temps, lighting, substrate. Do you soak him and how often? What are you feeding him. How long have you had him and how old is he. We can better help you if we know these things.

She has a UV light. I soak her every other day, I'm feeding him leafy greens with calcium substance that the vet recommended when I first got her . She is around five years old (I only got her when she was 4). Now I pinpointed the one problem. She is not utilizing her blacklegs as much as her front. She is using her back legs to sort of push which she never used to do. But she is still very lazy :(

kaylaa1202

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D and may we see a picture of your tort? Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words..:D

This is her.

Attachments

• image-4286672597.png
    image-4286672597.png
    288.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image-3337147269.png
    image-3337147269.png
    310.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image-3747349477.png
    image-3747349477.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 5

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. My thoughts is the temps are a little low. Might be confused on whether or not to come out of "hibernation" or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaylaa1202:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

If your tortoise used to roam the tank and now doesn't, then you are probably right to be concerned. Go over you tortoise-keeping and be sure everything is right...temperature, lights, humidity. Make adjustments as needed and see if this helps.

Does the tortoise ever get any real sunshine? And maybe your uv light isn't putting out any UVB anymore. It sounds like the tortoise is suffering from a calcium deficiency.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I have little knowledge of Russians (except the Cold War Type)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please can you measure the 4 important temperatures and post them back as these are usually the root of lethargy problems:
1. Warm end
2. Cool end
3. Under the basking lamp
4. Overnight minimum

How long are you soaking for? If your tort is not eating properly, I suggest you soak daily for a good 20 minutes. They can survive quite a while without food, but dehydrate very quickly.

Finally, you need to get a worm count done on a faecal sample (it doesn't have to be big). Worms are another common cause of this type of problem and Russians are prone to picking them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.