Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Just picked up my 2 year old tortoise and she has one of her back toe nails missing its come off from the root not sure how or when because its not bleeding booked an appointment to see the vet on fri has this happened to anyone else?

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
yes one of my torts had this happen. i don't exactly remember what the vet said about why it might have happened but she did say that he should be fine. my tort is doing dreat without it and i have not noticed anything different with him except the missing nail and its been 4 months since i discovered the missing toes. so your tort should be fine. if you notice your tort seems to be in distress make sure you get it checked out.

Wayne

danieledwards2006

10 Year Member!
England
will it grow back as its a nail? also could infection set in if shes not treated with antibiotics?

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
well i dont know exactly what happened with your tort but mine didnt have any problem with infection he was also being treated with baytril for RI at the time of the loss of nail. he has not grown it back but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. i would just keep an eye on your tort for any signs of infection or pain and go to the vet if anything starts to bother him. like i said before my torty had the same thing happen and has been doing great so i have a strong feeling that your tort will do the same.

keep me posted on your torts condition.
Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.