Greek tortoise injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliego

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Hey, I've got a greek tortoise which is about 8 years old, and when I was cleaning something off her nose, it slipped off my hand :'( It fell down and injured itself with its own shell. It has a scar of about 2cm long but it's not bleeding. I immediately took it to the vet, but he could not manage to see the scar properly, so he couldn't make any stiches. He just gave her an injection with vitamins. I'm keeping her in a warm place with food and water, but I'm afraid :( The vet said it shouldn't be serious

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Can you take a picture of the spot and post it on the forum? Is the spot on the shell or on the skin?
I'd be more worried about the vitamin shot. You'll have to watch the tortoise carefully. If they over did vitamin A with the shot, than his/her skin will come off and it will be red and raw underneath.

Danny

Aliego

5 Year Member
Malta
The scar is on her left leg (hand), and she's now eating. She's also walking a bit, but she's moving her left hand up and down, I don't know why :/

Aliego

5 Year Member
Malta
I've got the pictures of the scar. It looks really bad, but she is somehow managing to walk on it...

Any help or advice is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Alejandro

Attachments

• P7210367.JPG
    P7210367.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 48
  • P7210368.JPG
    P7210368.JPG
    469 KB · Views: 37

samstar

5 Year Member
I would just make sure it does not get infected, monitor it closely for the next few days, it does not look like an open wound which is good.

Aliego

5 Year Member
Malta
Thanks, should I try to spray some betadine or something??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks a little bit swollen, but not like a serious injury. Treat it as you would your own leg with such an injury.

I would be more worried about the vitamin shot. Keep a close watch on the tortoise's skin, like Danny has suggested. Not just the skin at the site of the injury, but the skin all over his body.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Is she still using the leg? Did it bleed when it first happened? Not sure why the vet couldn't see that as it's fairly deep and definately long enough to see. I'd be a bit worried about that. Keep it very clean and covered up. If you can get antibiotic ointment in Malta, than by all means use it on that cut.

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would only use betadine for the initial cleaning, it is too strong to use over and over as it will destroy living tissue. It is a great disinfectant, however. Mix it with water until it looks like a weak tea.

If you can't get antibiotic ointment, you can use a saline solution, or a little sea salt mixed with warm water, to clean it daily. Pat it dry afterwards. Just keep it clean and dry. You can keep her on clean paper until it heals to keep dirt out of it.

I agree with Yvonne and Danny, no more vitamin shots. If for any reason you go back to that vet, just tell him you do not want the shots. It is your tortoise and your decision. The vitamin shots are dangerous, and most often cause more harm than good.

Aliego

5 Year Member
Malta
egyptiandan said:
Is she still using the leg? Did it bleed when it first happened? Not sure why the vet couldn't see that as it's fairly deep and definately long enough to see. I'd be a bit worried about that. Keep it very clean and covered up. If you can get antibiotic ointment in Malta, than by all means use it on that cut.

Danny

She's using her leg just a little, which is forcing her to limp a little.
When it happened on Tuesday, it bled a little, but not that kind of blood that keeps on dripping. The only blood I saw was just a little around the injury, and a stain on her head.
The vet did not see it because in the beginning, him and the other vets were trying to force her out too much, and she wasn't feeling comfortable. It's only now (2 days later), that she's starting to let me pet her head.

I've got new pics of the scar. The deep part seems to be filled with skin or dry blood, not sure what it is.

The area where I'm keeping her is completely clean, so that should minimize chances of infections.
About the food, I started feeding her habiscus in the beginning, because I was afraid she won't eat. Now I'm feeding her lettuce. Should I feed her any specials in this certain situation??

Thanks everyone for the help. Really appreciate it

Alejandro

Attachments

• P7220371.JPG
    P7220371.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 14
  • P7220372.JPG
    P7220372.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P7220373.JPG
    P7220373.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 12