Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhite1985

5 Year Member
Hi All, I am getting my tortoise tomorrow - I am very excited! It is a Turkish spur thigh breed! I have done a lot of reading but still feel I need to know more.......one subject im not too good on is hibernating! Any useful info now would be great so when the time does come i can be prepared. She is 3 years old and hasnt yet been in hibernation. Thanks in advance :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! What an exciting and sorta scarey time, when your expecting your new tortoise. Have you ever had a tortoise before? Guessing not and you chose a good one to start with. I say start with because, if your like the majority of folks, soon you'll be getting another one.:D

First off, do you even want to hibernate your tortoise? It is not a requirement. Second, normally it is suggested never to hibernate a tortoise the first year with you. That buys you a bit more time to study up on hibernation, the good and bad about it, plus the different ways to do it. :D

I hope to see you around the forum a lot... and lots of pictures of the new one when it arrives!:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi chwhite1985:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

cwhite1985

5 Year Member
Ok brilliant - that will give me plenty of time to read up on it!! I collect her tomorrow so shall add some pics! I have never had tortoises before but have wanted one for a while, and yes I hope to get at least one more but hope to learn a lot more before I do this!

My name is Chloe and I am in the South West of England.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I never advise new tort owners to hibernate the first year, solely because they don't know what disease it could be incubating,
Also it depends on where you live, I never hibernate mine I just love to enjoy them all year round..

Status
Not open for further replies.