Help with tortoise identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
This photo is of a tortoise that someone had had for quite some time but have never been able to identify it. Any ideas?
04-01-10-2.jpg

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Im not sure... it is wierd!
Very pretty! Apart from the mild pyramiding its very pretty!

Have you rescued it from someone or are you just enquireig for someone?

xx

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Yes, I'm curious too. Found one like it at my folks house. It has a flat pastrom, so must be a female. If yours is a male maybe we can cement a deal.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm definately going to need more photos to be sure :D but looks like a Patagonian tortoise to me.

Danny

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is that one of those Antarctic Tortoises? I hear they can practically freeze over for several months a year with no ill effect. Something about a natural anti-freeze in their blood...

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Geochelone chilensis chilensis

Shell of 17 to 28 cm. of length and 12 to 15 cm. in width
Weight up to 2.5 kg
the dorsal coloration is brown or sometimes almost black, in the edge of each plate
the grudges that cover the head, the neck, the tail and the legs, are grayish
the legs finishes in five fingers with nails and is but long in the females
Another difference sexual more concave in the male in their later half, and its somewhat smaller size is plastrón slightly
the jaw superior is superposed to the inferior
exclusively Argentine Species, in the provinces of the center and north

Geochelone chilensis donosobarrosi

He is greatest of the Chilensis
the females reach to 32 cm. in length and the males to 26 cm.
darker than the common turtle
brown dorsal black Shell and plastrón brown yellowish
Shields without drawings
robust Legs of dark grayish color and with strong corneous grudges of great development
Are generally well-known for the south of the province of Buenos Aires, Pampas, Mendoza, Neuquén, River Negro and Chubut

Geochelone chilensis petersi

The species is characterized by its yellowish tone and smooth plates in the shell
plastron does not have the engraving characteristic of the terrestrial turtle (Geochelone chilensis)
the tip has two peaks with denticular edge - 22 cm. in length the females and 18 cm. the males
Distribution in the provinces of Santiago of the Matting, Jumps, Chaco, La Rioja and north of Cordova

There has been much discussion about if these " subespecies" they were really complete subspecies or species. At the moment it is considered to " petersi" like a subspecies, but it has not been finished discussing the situation of " donosobarrosi". Many consider species, whereas others consider subspecies[/i]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Would the Chilensis be a chaco tortoise?

I still think that the picture shown in the OP is a ceramic tortoise. I'll need to see other shots to be reassured its a real tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In fact, I think I have that very statue. I'm going outside right now and take a picture of it.

Here he is:

100_1067.jpg

100_1066.jpg

Mine's not as shiny as the OP's because he's been outside in the rain, sleet, snow and whatever! LOL!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
april fools day!
right..
cause if i got to go out and bust out a pic my cement guys.. i am going to be wet and cold and growling like a pirate...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, Gary (GBTortoises): Was this just an early April Fool's joke, or were you really fooled by the picture someone sent to you?

t_mclellan said:
I think yours was raised with higher humidity Yvonne.

Yeah, mine is quite a bit smoother, thus proving the "humidity" equation!

snake_girl85

5 Year Member
Looks like a CB Testudo sculptus... Possibly the subspecies T. s. resini... They are a pretty hardy specimen, thriving in gardens or next to patio furniture. They are most active in the spring, with sightings frequently occurring in the first week of April. Recent scientific studies have shown that they may exhibit a symbiotic relationship with garden gnomes.

;):p;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
snake_girl85 said:
Looks like a CB Testudo sculptus... Possibly the subspecies T. s. resini... They are a pretty hardy specimen, thriving in gardens or next to patio furniture. They are most active in the spring, with sightings frequently occurring in the first week of April. Recent scientific studies have shown that they may exhibit a symbiotic relationship with garden gnomes.

;):p;)
At last something concrete.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.