Help with plant ID

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Can someone tell me the name of this plant. And, is it okay for my sulcata to munch on it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dizisdalife said:
Can someone tell me the name of this plant. And, is it okay for my sulcata to munch on it?

ew-w...that's the obnoxious weed I have around my pond. Those little seeds inside the leaves will scatter and grow hundreds more plants just like it. I've been trying for years to get rid of it from around my pond. I know the name, but I can't bring it up right now. It is similar to papyrus. Wait...I think it's called sedge. Sedge is edible.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Yvonne. I just have a couple of these that grew this year. No idea where they came from. I am about to dig them up before they go to seed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're too late. I see the seeds have already started to disperse.

You could clip the seed heads and toss them, and let the tortoise eat the foliage. But be on your toes because new seed heads will appear.

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
Yvonne when it flowers, are they purple? I have GAZILLIONS of them... Good to know the tort might like it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't flower. It just has seeds, then as it matures it grows up a long stem so the seeds have an easier time dispersing.

redbeef

5 Year Member
nutsedge =( dude you're sooooo screwed now: you'll never ever get rid of that =,(