Help with lighting & paint options

brid

Location (City and/or State)
PA
My tortoise table is coming along and set to be delivered to my house in 3 days.

I have to let my friend who’s building it for me know lighting placement by tomorrow. The measurements are approximately 40”x96”. Does anyone have pictures of their custom setups or advice on where exactly to place the UVB and basking spot? My idea was having the UVB 3/4 of the way from one side in the center of the box, and the basking light in between that and the sidewall, if that makes sense? I’m having trouble with searching online for a good example to show him.

My next question is paint. The box will be lined with vinyl flooring (bottom and about 6 inches up the sides with silicone to seal it), so should I bother painting the rest of the inside walls at all? For the outside, what can I use that will be safe to put my tortoise in as soon as possible once dry? This is for a Russian by the way. Thank you for any and all help with this!

Attachments

• 1713997885235.jpeg
    1713997885235.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lighting. Uvb in the middle and basking close to it on one end. I would also have a fixture on the other end Incase added heat in a ceramic heat emitter is needed or for added light
No need to paint what is on the inside above the vinyl but I would paint the floor if using vinyl tiles, incase moisture gets between seems. If you are using a sheet of vinyl then no need to paint. The outside can be painted any way you want and with whatever you want.

brid

PA
Lighting. Uvb in the middle and basking close to it on one end. I would also have a fixture on the other end Incase added heat in a ceramic heat emitter is needed or for added light
No need to paint what is on the inside above the vinyl but I would paint the floor if using vinyl tiles, incase moisture gets between seems. If you are using a sheet of vinyl then no need to paint. The outside can be painted any way you want and with whatever you want.
It’s a good idea to add a fixture on each end which I wouldn’t have thought of, so thank you for that! I’m trying to get it right the first time and not have to bother my friend to add on/redo anything. He’s building it much faster than I anticipated so I appreciate the quick response!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck, and don't forget to share a pic of it when finished.
This is an open top table correct?
If it's going to be a closed table, then yes, you should paint the part inside that's not vinyl or have vinyl go all the way up the sides.
I was assuming an open table in my first post.

brid

PA
Good luck, and don't forget to share a pic of it when finished.
This is an open top table correct?
If it's going to be a closed table, then yes, you should paint the part inside that's not vinyl or have vinyl go all the way up the sides.
I was assuming an open table in my first post.
Yes, it will be an open top table. I will post a picture when it’s all finished and set up! Thank you for your help!